Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youngie22

Steelhead

13 posts in this topic

Where are the steelhead this time of year? Are they being caught? More in the lake right now than in the streams? When do they usually stage to head up river? Are the rivers open water right now or are they mostly frozen over? Please if you can, let me know what you could! Thanx for anything

Steelhead, are out roaming the open water. They'll start staging off the river mouths in early April sometime. The rivers are iced up with just a trickle now. We have no snow so pray for rain and warm weather to get some flow going.

You don't have to wait to get into some shore fishing. Loopers and Coho are out there now.

Why fish just for them when you could hurt them? You can not keep them so fish just for the looper and coho and if you do get one that is not fin clipped get here back safe good luck grin.gif.

Yep, All unclipped Rainbows must be released.

If you can't C&R Steelhead then they don't belong in the lake.

IMO.

I agree with ST, C@Ring steelhead is about as fun as it gets and if you safely handle them and get them back in the water you should fish for them if you want to. With that being said, we really won't see the opportunitty to target steelhead for another month or so. (The brule opens Mar 31st, and the northshore blows out somewhere around that time depending on rain and temps) You might catch one fishing from shore but you'll more likly get into cohos or loopers.

Not planning steelhead only, have caught a few loopers buddy got one steelhead on the knife lastyear. we were trying to figure out more on their behaviors. once the streams break open, are they waiting for "their" water temp before they enter? My buddy and I are catch and release only on the north shore. No need to eat any of those beauts (not a big trout eater, I prefer to eat the panfish and walleye). Hope to see a few of you guys along the lake this spring. I will most likely be one of the 2 rookies probably in camo, watchin the old timers trying to pick up a few hints. thanx for the info though

Well one of the 2 rookies ha. Well I can help you out I enjoy the rivers myself. I can not wait as well. I will post as the season get closer and good fishing to you as well cool.gif.

at the right time of the year, what do you guys prefer?? shore fishing or fishing in the stream? I think they are pretty different techniques to catch the same species fish.

I have another dumb rookie question.I have never seen a steelhead or looper is the main difference a clipped fin? confused.gif

If you do not know what it is release it. Even if it has a clipped fin. Not worth a ticket.

Browse around for some pics of loopers and steelhead before you go out. They are readily distinguishable from each other. Steelhead tend to be long, thin and more silvery; loopers on the other hand tend to be short, chunky and darker. If you really are not sure release it not worth getting fined.

A steelhead is a rainbow trout that traditionally runs from the ocean. They were planted in Lake Superior in the late 1800's, i believe. Steelhead have now adapted to live in the lake and run in the rivers to perform the spawning ritual, about April around here.

The 'loopers' you speak of are kamloops strain rainbow trout, which originate from the Kamloop region of British Columbia. I think they were lake fish there, meaning they lived only in lakes. Not sure completely, anyone else feel free to add or correct shocked.gif

Steelhead

The above link will give you some info/history on the stocking of loopers and steelhead in lake superior.