Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shogun

Trout Lake (just north of Lake Vermillion)

6 posts in this topic

I'm planning a trip here this summer. Just wondering what all different fish species there are, and if you have fished it, what are all of the different species you have caught. I see on the DNR site it just shows lake trout, walleyes, cisco, and burbot. I've heard there are smallmouth bass and pretty sure there are pike. I'm also wondering if there are muskellunge. So yeah, again, just looking for what different stuff you've caught/know are in there. Thanks for any info!

Lake Trout fishing stinks don't waste your time! Trout has good walleye fishing in the summer. Its a canadian shield lake(rocky lots of reefs) that can be good. Lots of nice smallmouth. Real nice size 15-23inches. nice sized northers.Some nice big sunfish in the back bays and arms. Real fun lake in july and early august. Walleyes can be tricky, slip bobbers in the evening can be the trick. Hope that helps

Actually I have had some of my best lake trout fishing in the summer on Trout. Smallmouth are great. Nice walleyes and Northerns.

Go to Snowbank instead, half of it is in the boundary waters so you'll still get that experience if that's what your looking for. But it has good lake trout fishing and it has both smallmouth and largemouth bass. Better stick with Vermillion for muskies though.

Thanks for your help guys. I've never really fished lake trout, but I'm sure I would have fun catching them. I am definitely more a walleye guy so I don't think Trout Lake will be a problem. I do like to fish for some big muskies and pike too. Bass are always fun to catch as well, they always seem to hit just about anything.

For this trip I think I will mainly be targeting walleyes and pike, and certainly some muskies in Vermillion on the way in and out. No muskies at all in Trout lake then?

Vermillion and Trout are connected by a small stream, but you could fish it for a lifetime and never get a muskie. Every lake in that area is full of walleyes and northerns though. Snowbank and Burntside are the trout lakes. If your dead set on lakers, your better off going to Grand Marais area lakes.