Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Thiem

Lake Zumbro Update!

15 posts in this topic

Went out tonight to fetch the permanent off the lake and just wanted to let everybody know that the Grandpa Ed's ramp is now closed off with yellow caution tape.

Lot's of standing water but still plenty of good ice with the hi-banks still at around 17".

Scrod, your hut is still OK. grin.gif Let me know if ya need any help getting it off the lake.

There is a marked off area near Nietz's point to watch out for that has open water.

Talked to a few people that were there since noon and they only had a few in the pail. Not much for size either.

I can't beleive I never got out to fish the high banks this year!

Hey dan I was just going to ask you if you have been out. I haven't been out since the UPL. Just too busy with this and that. I think I am going to take it off on monday evening. Dan- did you pull yours off at fishermans or the public access?

I went off the lake at the public accsess at Ponderosa. Lots and lots of water on top of the ice in that little lagoon. blush.gif

I see the new girl replaced the white Shepard....he must have peed on the carpet to be regulated to the supporting cast position, or is it just the girls pretty face?

Does she force him off his chow yet? Maybe come running to papa and tell if he gives her an ugly growl?:)

wink.gif What are you doing in this forum anyway? Aint you got some jumbo perch to get after?

Quite a zoo around our house at feeding time with all four dogs. Grace, the St Bernard puppy is a chow hound. Man she can horse down a bowl of food.

The Zum Treated Tom and I pretty well this morning. We were out there a little before the fish woke up, but once with sun hit the ice, the action was hot. We caught an estimated 40 fish with an even mix of bluegills and crappies (both whitties and blackies), and 1 perch. No mongo fish today, but I wouldn’t say we caught many dinks either. Several 8” gills that were nice a plump along with a handful of 9” crappies. We couldn’t find any big fish, but the medium sized fish were plentiful.

We caught fish on waxies, and red and white spikes. Diamond jigs in the #12 size took most of our fish. I had a glow white and Tom had a gold & purple. I also took several fish off a JB Lures Gem’n Eye 1/32 chart/white. Almost all of our fish were taken in the bottom 5’ of the water column.

Way to go you guys! I knew they were there. I guess it just took a couple better fishermen to catch 'em. wink.gif

A blind dog could have caught them. They were thick. Often times the bottom 4' was stacked. I really wanted to catch a nice on and take a picture right at the site where your shack sat Dano. Makes me laught just thinking about it.

anybody be out and seen how the snow affected the lake? Are people still driving out? Im guessing water pours out of the holes.

I was at Fishermans Inn yesterday and all I saw was sled traffic. No vehicles. And you are right, water would fill up in the boot prints. Fished from 1:00 til 4:00 and never marked a fish. My first skunk of the year. frown.gif

did see what the pondy access looked like?

Well, the yellow tape at Grandpa Ed's is gone but the ramp is completley buried behind a wall of snow. At the public access I didn't see any vehicle tracks. Just quads and sleds But that was Sunday. Maybe that's changed by now?

I went out there this morning but i didnt drive out since there was about 1.5' of water below the landing so I just fished around the dam area. There is water on the ice but not everywhere. Ice thicknees over there ranged around 13" but found some areas with only about 9" but thats by the dam so theres more current. Saw one truck come off the landing about 100yrds and then turned around and left. theres no signs of traffic. Fishing stunk for me only got one small gill. My buddy caught a couple bigger gills and one 10" perch.

Looking to head out to zumbro Sunday. To start the new fishing year. Has any one been out by fishermans lately. Wondering if the fish have moved up that way yet.