Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbait

Ice????

4 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, wondering the ice thickness in the area after the warm week. Heading up this weekend and was just wondering for driving purpose.

Ice is very thick, 24" plus. Today I was down to my gearbox, aproaching 30 inches. What a lot of people don't understand about lake ice is warm days and cold nights drives the ice down. As well the snow melts, the water freezes on the top of the ice and you have more ice. There is not enough warm, and not enough daylight to deteriorate the ice from the top or bottom. We see these conditions in this area mid march to early april. It takes just as much warm weather to melt ice as it takes cold weather to produce it. We have the best ice of the year now. Driving is not a problem where it has occurred previously. Our only problematic areas are the ice heaves. I would venture to guess we will be driving until mid March or later. Brent

I agree with you "fisherking" the ice is still very good. I always have to laugh when I watch the news. I believe it was channel 5 with Jeff Pasolt last night, "the ice is melting very rapidly and the ice won't be there for long" or something like that. We live in Minnesota how about giving people accurate info instead of using the scare tactic. There's about three weeks a winter where they lay off the warnings otherwise it's "stay off the ice!" Even during that time there can be 2 feet of ice, but if a guy falls through near a crick or something you better watch out because all the lakes in the state are caving in! I guess to answer your question, "fishbait" just use your head and you'll be fine. If your not sure where your going drive where other already have, it's the best way to stay dry. Good luck fishing!

Thanks for the information guys. I hope all is well with everybody and see you all out on the lake this weekend.