Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
united jigsticker

City Cricks?

united jigsticker    0
united jigsticker

I grew up in Blaine, and down the street was a drainage crick.

When I was about 13, a buddy of mine decided we should wade up the crick one spring.

He decided to bring his dad's old seign with. The deepest water we found was probably 4 feet deep. When he retrieved his net to see what he had, there were 5" sunnies, 10" northerns, and some mud puppie looking things.

The guy across the street from me told me of one high water spring when he and a buddy caught large Crappies out of an irrigation ditch on a sod farm near Cambridge.

Huh?

Anyone else run into fish in unexpected places?

hogsucker    0
hogsucker

It's amazing what kind of fish you will find if you explore the little cricks around your home. The 3-foot wide creek behind my house has bullheads, white suckers, bluegills, baby carp, various shiners, dace, sticklebacks and a good population of crayfish in it. This is also in Blaine. We seined a tiny creek north of Bethel to gather some shiners last summer. It was pretty cool to see lots of 10-12 inch largemouths, suckers and chubs, plus one 20" pike swam by with a 6" sucker crosswise in it's mouth. I would guess that no one has probably ever fished this water, and it's right in the suburbs! Just more proof that good fishing is wherever you find it.........~hogsucker

Moses2531    0
Moses2531

I agree! I think that is so cool that you guys sein those cricks! I grew up in Andover and we used to net fatheads (at least they looked like them) out of a crick to fish with, and then one day we threw little dare-devils and caught 3 little (12") northern... This inspired us to fish the crick more and now we got a nice little place to catch footlong suckers if we want with nightcrawlers.. Its a great fight when its such a tiny crick you're fishin!

EidesRX    0
EidesRX

I fish nine mile creek in Bloomington just a mile from where I grew up. It's amazing what those little creeks hold. Not too long ago, I saw a picture of a 46 pound carp come out of my favorite hole! I've caught just about every species in the book, but my personal best was around a 20 lbs carp and a few 4 lb northerns. You can catch just about anything on an oatmeal or cornmeal boil.

rockingroy    0
rockingroy

I haven't done a lot of river fishing so I'm a little ignorant about techniques, but what is an oatmeal or cornmeal boil?

EidesRX    0
EidesRX

Check out this website if your interested They're a little doctored up more than I like, but you'll get the picture.

I use cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and strawberry jello with cornmeal. I've found cornmeal holds up much better. One time I was bored and tried eating some of my bait, threw up for the rest of the day but the carp love it!!!

http://www.lake-online.com/fishinhole/carp-bait-recipes.html

EBass    0
EBass

LOL EidesRX - that was funny. laugh.gif

rockingroy    0
rockingroy

Thanks EidesRX, Great story too!

HossFisher    1
HossFisher

There is a creek by my house, which is a good sized creek. Downstream a ways it connects to the Minnesota River. I have caught perch, sunfish, crappies, bullheads, sheephead, carp, walleyes, suckers, shiners, shad (i think), catfish, gar, and seen the biggest northern of my life in there! My favorite way to fish these small streams is with my fly rod. Nothing fights better than a big carp on Fly Rod!

uwecsteeple    0
uwecsteeple

What kind of bait do you use for flyfishing carp?

I have always used worms and doughballs and used my catfish rod but, I have never even thought of flyfishing carp?

Great idea though laugh.gif

HossFisher    1
HossFisher

I always use wet flies, size 8-14. My most productive flies are large pheasant tails, clinger nymphs, baetis nymphs and also some flies that i have made up. Carp will bit almost any fly that you can get on or near the bottom. The color orange seems to work really well. If you are fishing current you are going to want to use beadhead/weighted flies that are going to get to the bottom. Using a light leader doesn't seem to make much of a difference (you just lose more fish wink.gif)I normally use 12lb regular fishing line. Hope this information helps.

bronzeback01    0
bronzeback01

I used to live in Rochester and I fished the Zumbro right there in down town. I used to catch smallies by the dozen with my personal best being at if not over 4 lbs (I didn't have a scale with me because I didn't think they got that big there). I caught largemouth, white and black crappie, pearch, gills of every species, I've caught some pike in the uper 20"s as well as one very nice walleye that I bet was over 3 lbs. You would be amazed what you can catch out of these rivers if you actually fish them, especially when the majority of the population have no clue what is in there.

slipperybob    0
slipperybob

I grew up in the projects and there's this crick drainage right beside the road. At that time it was Amusement City there across from McCarrons. After a nice big rain and water be flowing through the drainage hole, there'll be a school of carp swimming in there. You can catch all sorts of fish in it. Carp, perch, pikes, sunnies, large mouth bass. It's practically ridiculous. If you use a dip net you can catch a lot of baby fishes. Baby bass, baby crappies, baby pikes, baby sunnies, baby carps, baby bullheads.

I wonder if it's still there?

"another IT GUY"    0
"another IT GUY"

Originally Posted By: slipperybob
I grew up in the projects and there's this crick drainage right beside the road. At that time it was Amusement City there across from McCarrons. After a nice big rain and water be flowing through the drainage hole, there'll be a school of carp swimming in there. You can catch all sorts of fish in it. Carp, perch, pikes, sunnies, large mouth bass. It's practically ridiculous. If you use a dip net you can catch a lot of baby fishes. Baby bass, baby crappies, baby pikes, baby sunnies, baby carps, baby bullheads.

I wonder if it's still there?

I remember that SliperryBob! I'm sad to say its no longer there. I use to walk rice street down to the amusement park that was years ago! I saw that big ole school of carp!!! They were huge! I've always wondered how I could catch those things at the age of 12.

tjbassmaster    0
tjbassmaster

I have seen bullheads carp sunfish perch crappies and even 2 walleyes. In a Creek that goes through town. Also Lots of shiners and leechs to get bait out of to.

CrappiesNCats    0
CrappiesNCats

at a small crick in western minnesota i have had great success. it seems all the walleyes in it are 2-3 pounds and are very agressive. also caught nice big northerns and bass.

goblueM    0
goblueM

I've been to 9 Mile Creek seining with the DNR, we saw some huge creek chubs, suckers, and various small gamefish. Nothing huge but a very diverse range of fishes. I might go back this spring and go fishing with my ultralight and 2 pound test, would be fun and reminiscent of my childhood \:\)

Andrew Erickson    0
Andrew Erickson

ive never fished in small creeks before.What would be good bait for small creeks.I would probably be fishing the 9 mile creek.

Lunker    0
Lunker

If live bait, can't go wrong with 1/2 a crawler, especially if you're not sure what's in the creek, just about anything will eat a crawler. Course if the creek is full of bullheads(like the deeper stretches of the Minnehaha) you may want to try other live baits. Experiment.

If fishing artificials, I would downsize to very small plastics and small spinners.

UdeLakeTom    0
UdeLakeTom

A friend of mine used french fries on his fly rod for carp. The kids at the pond were catching carp, so he asked what they were using...french fries from Mickey D's across the street.

Andrew Erickson    0
Andrew Erickson

would you let it just sit on the bottom with some split shots?or would you let it drift in the current with a bobber?

Lunker    0
Lunker

Either are tactics to try, but your bottom feeder species(suckers, carp, etc.) probably won't come up for a bait under a bobber very often.

goblueM    0
goblueM

Personally I would go with 1/2 a crawler on a #10 aberdeen hook. Unweighted or at the MOST, the smallest split shot you can find. 2 or 4# test. If you find a deeper pool, put on the split shot.

Sometimes I like using ice fishing bobbers as well, they're super small and responsive

River Rat (dan)    0
River Rat (dan)

I grew up in New Brighton and rice creek in the spring is black with carp,suckers,bufflo, It rns into long lake near the lake we used to catch crappies this was prolly 18 years ago and have not been there in awhile.

Also when i was very young i use d to live near Mccarrons lake and I remeber amusment city I used to be hrs late for school fishing crappies in mccarons about 3rd grade.. good times

Travis1    0
Travis1

I went to the nine mile creek yesterday and the only fish I saw was a carp tossed up on shore. I figured I'd try it because the Minnesota is too high. I was at the park fishing with a standard nightcrawler on bottom. Does the fishing usually heat up as the water warms or was I just doing it wrong? Should I fish deep holes or eddies or find something else?