Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sport800

Current hot spots around Buffalo

12 posts in this topic

I have some freinds coming from out of state to do some fishng for either Walleyes or Crappies and I was wondering if someone could tell me which area lakes are currently producing the best bite. I really appreciate your help. Two of the guys will be ice fishing for the first time so I want to give them a good experiance. Thanks

i've had good luck on buffalo just on the outside of the 33' hole for walleye. pulaski has some good walleyes on the finger. so i would try either of those spots.

Be careful driving out there. Yesterdays temps along with the wind really weakened the ice. When we were leaving a truck had broken partly through at the park access. He was able to be pulled out by another truck but that ice got sloppy fast. If I was pulling houses off this weekend I would be leaving at the DNR access. Both the park and the south access have inlets that really corrode the ice in these sunny warm temps.

I think dat dah ice might get weak on dah shore near dah access cuz uff dah salt from dah road dat dah people's trucks track onto dah lake yah.

Are you special? Careful now on the short yellow bus.

I personally have been skunked all 3 times i was out to buffalo, but the people in my group have had luck in 20Fow and right next to the 30ft hole Ive seen some nice crappies brought up.

Quote:

I have some freinds coming from out of state to do some fishng for either Walleyes or Crappies and I was wondering if someone could tell me which area lakes are currently producing the best bite. I really appreciate your help. Two of the guys will be ice fishing for the first time so I want to give them a good experiance. Thanks

Crappies are biting on waverly.

If you want to catch walleyes and crappies but you aren't too worried about how big they are I would go to buffalo. Last weekend I caught 35 walleyes and 4 crappies. Most of the walleyes are 9 to 11 inches but I got a couple 12 inchers and a 14. You're not going to get too many keepers but there will be some action. I was in about 16FOW about half way between the 30 foot hole and the outlet to deer lake. You will get more walleyes than crappies there. If you want more of a mix I would go near the 30 foot hole in 16 to 20 FOW on the south side of the hole. The best jigs were a plain hook and a fatty and demons and weasles with crappie minnows or fatheads. They did not seem to be very shy about biting last weekend. They may be a bit more shy with the weather this weekend. There is some decent pike action intermittantly in these locations as well in the daylight hours.

Thanks eyebjim, I guess we will be heading out to Buffalo Lake.

14inch walleye is small but at least an eater for many. But 9-11" walleyes I would not call that eating size. Being seen with them in a bucket would bring some harsh replies from alot of guys.

R, the ramp by the park also has water running into the lake next to the ramp. That water can warm-up before hitting the lake an also weaken ice near ramp.

I agree with you about seeing them in a bucket. He was looking for some action to show some people from out of town. The 9-11 inchers will give you action all day long out there. Not the best fighters but will at least show a guy a good time. I was not at all suggesting keeping them. I wouldn't unless they were injured severly. You can get a few decent sized fish if you try long enough.