Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrfishing

5 mile

6 posts in this topic

Anyone been fishing around the five mile area? Is it easy to access if you drive right out of warroad?

Tried to get to 5 mile on Monday but the breaker was active and we were not able to drive a truck across so I do not know how the fishing was.

Getting out there on sled Monday was decent...on the way in was another story. The ice was active all day (warmer temps and wind) so it wasn't a surprise to see water on the ice at the big heave.

Wish we could have did better fishing to make it worth while. I'm guessing it was big pike snarfed up my white genz worm and straightened the hook out on it. Other than that, no other major action except trying to keep the dinky walleyes off.

I had a close call last Saturday at the pressure ridge going to 5 mile. When we went out in the morning, I drove across the ridge in my F-150 Supercrew (6000 lbs.) and nothing happened. After a phenomenal 5 hours of fishing we had to head out, so we followed our track log back to the same spot we crossed in the morning. The front end of the pickup made it across okay, but the back tires fell into the crack when it opened up. Thank god we had enough speed to bounce out of it. We got out to look and there was water gushing into the hole that we made. I broke off one of the trail markers and drove it into the snow in the middle of the pass so the red Chevy that was still out there wouldn't fall through-that was the only other vehicle out there. Hope they didn't think it was a joke.

Yikes man glad you made her back over OK. Bad, Bad crack out there for sure and crossing such a crack is a day to day, if not hour by hour thing no matter where you're getting across. I've gotten out to 5-mile this year via many different routes across that breaker and none are or have been what I'd call safe. More than once I've had to take a different route off than what we took out.

One had best know their way around just incase you can't get back over where you made it across earlier that day or days prior.

Breaker out of Babs road was impassable today too. Closed at his bridge near Gull Rock. May take awhile too as it was very bad looking.

These tracks and trails that are not 'maintained' by resorts/operators with a handle on day to day ice conditions are ever changing, and no one is there to warn you, or is going to be able to tell you that it's "not safe" to go on out across the cracks. The ice may be 3 foot thick and the reports may be grand but be careful all when it comes to crossing these cracks.

Not advising you 'jigginlow', heck you made it! Just a cautionary bit to all as to the still very hazardous and active breakers on the pond this year.

Babbler closed his bridge? We still have our house out at 16 mile, guess the plans are off for the weekend, or hopefully he will have something in place by then, definitely have to call first. Anymore info is appreciated. Thanks!