• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Disappointed in Sleeper House!

pengy

Kelly P. I feal your pain,Sorry it happend to ya!! I thought it only happend to peaple like me who rent out there home to buddies while Im working down in Florida for a few months without a deposit!! It will never happen again, Some peaple are just pigs,Without a deposit who cares its partytime!! confused.gifconfused.gif

I am sorry there are people out there like this, but doesnt people need to leave a deposit, or credit card? or even home address, I would go after them for repairs, or did you?

That is disgusting. They are a waste of space. People like that should not be allowed to have children.

No respect for anything.

We are not like that. We will have a drink or 12, hopefully catch fish and have a good time either way.

Hang in there.

Most people are NOT like that.

BTW -- What is up with the Seals?

It didn't happen to us. It was another renter. He ended up replacing the carpet, the door and cook stove. It took a week for him to get the house back into useable condition. He didn't file formal charges but they paid for the damages.

I believe that we have some of the neatest and cleanest fishermen on URL renting our houses. It took a lot of culling and sorting and throwing groups out but we've got good people renting from us. cool.gif

Right now the ice fishing business on URL is still in it's rebirth/infancy with a lot of people new to the business in the game. We all know that there will be many changes the next few years when the "boom" years are over. Like was mentioned earlier in this topic someone mentioned that they wished there were more "proffesional" rental outfits on URL like LOW. In time there will be but there is a time coming when there will be more rental houses then customers. The business's that treated people good hopefull will grow. The ones that were in it for a quick buck will fall by the wayside. There's a time coming when there will be alot of culling, sorting and throwing back on the rental business side also.

Quote:

BTW -- What is up with the Seals?

Don't worry about the seals. Foster will explain to you how to deal with them. grin.gif

Don't even know how to reply to such senseless actions. KP, However glad I am to hear you were not directly affected I feel sadness and a bit of shame for whomever it happened to. There are always "those" in a bunch and thankfully "they" are not the norm. But it still turns my stomach and flat out pi**es me off mad.gif Cull the herd and keep the faith.

I personally can hardly wait till the crappie boomers are gone and just the locals are left renting houses. A couple years back in March i was riding around on the lake picking up trash and this clown in a cowboy hat comes out of his house and tells me if i fish by his houses he will blow me away with a howitzer. I pointed toward the shore where i live and said i think i can hit you from there with my 06 not that i could or would but it was a fanticy of mine for awile.

Halad why can I see you lining up the old long range site on the .o6 like John Wayne? confused.giflaugh.gif

"Alrighty then Pilgrim" grin.gif

The time when client customer relations means everything is at our doorstep. Many of these outfits looking for the fast and easy buck are having a tough year...welcome to Red Lake boys. Now you have to work for the good fishing like a normal lake, the ones that will remain are the ones that know what to do when things get tough or slow and have had good customer relations. I think with a good snow this year it would defintly demonstrate who is staying around and who will be leaving the game.

My wife and I were up last week and rented a sleeper house. We had a very fun time. I don't know if it is customary or normal but when we left we took all of our garbage including the bag from the bathroom with us. We thought it was the right thing to do! Thanks for the good time!!!

Speaking of minnows....what is the customary thing to do with the bodies once you pinch the heads off? I'd assume it's to have a can or garbage next to you and pinch the bodies into that? I know when I'm driving around on the ice down here, you'll see where people fish and minnow bodies laying on the ice. Fine for people with portables and their own houses IMO, but what about those of you that rent out sleepers? I'd think it's common courtesy to throw the bodies in the garbage. Or isn't it that big a deal if people pinch the bodies off down the hole?

Quote:

The opposite of this is the people renting the houses and wondering what kind of people are going to be in the house.

This was the first day of a brand new rental house on URL this year. It was a very nice house. Carpeted, wired for 110 with a generator attached to the house, TV and DVD player and radio. 4 burner stove with oven and an outside entrance bathroom built into the house. Never been rented, never even fished in.

After 1 day the carpeting could not be seen as it was completely covered with smashed food, minnows, the remains of cleaned fish and shell casings. Yes shell casings, it seems they were playing with their pistol while in the house. What's a few bullet holes,,, after all it's only a rental. Only 2 of the fishing holes were still usable. 1 corner hole was full of bodily waste, all kinds of waste, smeared on the walls and piled around the hole. 2 holes were full of soiled clothing. 3 holes were full of garbage, burned food, etc, etc.. The door to the fish house was bent so bad that it would no longer close. The oven door was torn off completely. They did this is less then 20 hours.

(I replied before I read that this was not one of his renter, but still)

If you have their credit card number do like hotels and bill them for the repairs.

I have no idea how someone could actually do something like shocked.gif

To me, renting a house is just like camping, right?

What's the first rule of camping?

Leave your campsite/fish house cleaner than when you got there.

I just use both halves... never seen much difference between the tail and the head. My buddy will only use a head, so when I fish with him I use his tail... I can guarantee you he has not caught anymore fish than I have...

Good Luck!

Ken

Pengy

I doubt the outfitter you stayed with is a sponsor of Fishingmn. Let er rip!! Most of us plan 1 or 2 weekends to come up and enjoy the great fishing Red has to offer. With this great forum, we all share the same thing, good fishing, information, and not getting ripped off! I would appreciate the name of the rental business so I don't have to worry about bringing up the wife and kids to such a pig pen. If they are that bad, they should be know, and not be in business anyway!! I do not think anyone would disagree.

Quote:

I doubt the outfitter you stayed with is a sponsor of Fishingmn. Let er rip!!

I understand your frustration and wanting to know the who, what, when and where of it...although it cannot be allowed.

The reason is if Fishing Minnesota or any other web based forum allowed negative posts it would turn into a mudslinging like no other, maybe even make the elections appear civil. When you have a forum that allows the user to be anonymous you open the door for one business to masquerade as a customer and slam his competition. Once this starts the forum would be full of half truths, gossip and rumors and nobody wins from that, all you have is a bunch angry members that can't sort out the true info from false info. Businesses that are trying to cut each others throats due to some thing that was said or typed in front of the masses and then the shady lawyers or ambulance chasers would get a hold of it and we would have a new website called Frivolous Minnesota.com, where everyone can keep up on how the slander and character lawsuits are going.

Negative post are just like dominos.

So that is why I feel negative posts cannot be allowed sponsor or not.

Jon, by your reasoning than couldn't a person or business just post great outlandish reports about something that isn't true just to get people to use thier services? Anyone on this site just for example could fall victim to something like this, and we can't even post about it because of your above post. I guess it is more important to protect the business and the product than the sportsmen that use this and other sites. That is what it looks like to me.

It sounds to me like if somebody could have tipped off the original poster to the situation he would encounter by renting from that business it could have made his and the others trip alot better, but I guess it's buyer beware on this site. Maybe it's just me but doesn't that kind of go against the original idea for a site like this in the first place? I'm guessing that is why there is always 3 times more annomomys people than there is registered users on this site at any given time.

Forums are a basis of information, you still have to shop any product or service before purchasing outside of a public forum. I was once told that "x" type of glove was the best glove money could buy on the forums by members that owned them. So I tried them and they where cold, wet and I was dissapointed. I should have researched them further than I did.

As far as outlandish good reports it does happen, how many times have you heard "IT WAS THIS BIG". Nature of the beast, once again you have to research above and beyond forums, advertisements and even refrences. The forum policies are not something that was just whipped up over coffe. Many many poeple spent countless hours establishing the "best" or most reasonable way handle things, and they work. Granted you will always have someone that likes to challenge things just because they can but the policies do work.

Just my opinion here but, why can a person tell about how good a rental service was and tell who it was that they rented from, but they can't tell who it was that they had poor rental service from. Just curious, because i see so many posts on here are about praising a rental or guide service and they always say who it was that they rented from.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy for your answer.]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The forums are here to share info. We'd like to do that in a positive and friendly way. If you hear positive feedback about a resort then you can probably bank on that resort to give you good service. That works and it works well. You'll notice some resorts don't get any positive feedback, theres a reason why. Any forum member thats been around will know those good resorts.

We've seen the negative reports and lets just say they didn't go over well. IF those threads could have stayed respectful, without disgusting details, and pileing on then maybe they could have stayed.

Forum policy in a nutshell is, we won't let any person or business get ripped apart on HS0/FM. Is it possible to make an informative post without tearing a business a new one?

Yes it is and I've seen members be able to do that but when theres an open forum theres always going to be members that can't do that. We've all been burned at some time by a business and its understandable to want to complain about them but this isn't the place. If you experience bad service its up you to tell that business at that time, maybe then they'll straighten up their act.

If I were coming in cold and needed to rent a sleeper I'd have some questions to ask before paying a deposit.

What is provided?

Do you move your houses around or actively scout areas to set the houses on?

Whats the sleeping arrangement?

Are you houses clean?

Will you be checking in one us?

References?

How old are you houses?

Do you plow the roads?

Are they catching any fish in your houses?

I'm sure theres some concerns that you might have that you'd add to the list of questions.