Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquaholic

What do they want right now???

8 posts in this topic

I'm normally a lake fisherman, but with the warm temps this week i've had to take a couple of trips to the river after work to wet a line. I've started around 5:15 each day and fished till about 6:30 when i really can't see what i'm doing anymore. I've been casting from shore in a small hole i've found near my house in monticello. Because of my rush to get out there after work, I haven't stopped to pick up live bait and try that yet, but i've tried everything else. Cranks, topwater lures, buzzbaits with gulp leech(proably not the best option this time of year), jighead with black shad gulp, and a mimic minnow. Have only managed to catch one with the mimic minnow. I know there are fish there cause they are jumping out of the water every couple of minutes. Any bait recommendations i could get would be very helpful with my limited experience with smallies. Just moved to the area last summer and am excited to get out there this spring on the boat and learn some more about the smallies in the area. Thanks for any help, and by the way, it is absolutely gorgeous down at the river with all of the wildlife right now. Tons of activity with ducks, geese, swans; gets a guy excited for the ND spring goose hunting.

I would go with a jig and minnow[fathead] ideally or a jig and power grub. Keep you presentation slow. Hope this works blush.gif

3-3 1/2 inch shallow cranks with a tight wobble or 3-4 inch suspending jerkbaits retrieved at a medium to medium slow speed was the ticket for me this past weekend.

Thanks, i'll have to give both those a try tonight.

I'm doing ok with a little black weighted fly called a clouser (just a wierd looking 1/16th oz jig with deer hair). Earlier in the winter chartruse was doing good too. I bet a mepps spinner would work.

The two lures I do the most damage with for smallmouth on the river are Tiny torpedo's and silver or copper small red eye's. I typically don't fish the river in february though....

Got a question, what is the season on the river, can you still fish for gamefish after the season closes this weekend?

not on the upper miss, you have to move down to pool 2 or 4