Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DzNuts

Vex vs. Marcum

6 posts in this topic

I've heard of the interference problem of running two of the same brands in the same house. But how about running the two different brands in the same house. Anybody have any experience with this.

I finally broke down and bought a Marcum, and a friend can't figure out which one he wants. If the two don't interfere as much that might make the decision easier.

I have fished in the same house as some one with the same unit I have, a Vexilar FL-8. I have also fished in the same house as some one with a Marcum. In either case I didn't seem to have a problem unless I needed to turn up my gain for my smaller jigs. Then I would pick up some from the Marcum, but I didn't have that problem with the Vexilar. Maybe because we could cancel each other out easier??? I don't know for sure. Just my past experience.

I have a Marcum, my fishing buddy has a vex. We do run into a little interferrance at first but by playing with the IR we are able to fish quite well out of the same portable with little or no interference. I have not fished with anyone else that has a marcum so I can not speak for putting two of them together but I would guess the results would be similar to fishing with a vex.

DZ,

Every single time I go fishing(2-4 times a week), I have two units in my shack and I think I've had pretty much every combination around. I own a Marcum LX-5 and a Vex FL-18. I fish those two units in my shack about twice a week and don't have any problem. Like mentioned above when we first turn the units on, one or both of us need to fiddle with the IR button, but all it takes is about 10 seconds or less and both our flashers are completely clear of interference. About once a week or so I fish with another LX-5 (Rugbyguy) and it’s the same story. We don’t have any problems at all. I also fish with a LX-3 very often. I’ve fished with Crazyice and his FL-8 a few times as well. No issues. Even if I turn my gain up or somebody else does, it does not affect my LX-5 or FL-18.

The ONLY time I’ve ever experienced issues with interference is during a huge ice fishing tournament or event such as the Brainerd Ice Extravaganza. Even then, I could tune out most if not all the interference on either of my units. It just took a bit longer and I had to do it more frequently.

Often times in deep water you will mark your buddies lures, but that’s different that interference.

I use a Lowrance 334, a freind was using a vexilar in the same house about 12' apart. My unit was going nuts 400' deep jumping all over the place. He shut his off and mine was fine again.

Tomorrow if the weather isn't TOO bad, we're going to put marcum against marcum. I went cheap with the '1' he put money down on the '3'. We'll see who's catches more fish. grin.gif