Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
woodsandwaterguy

gilstad?

7 posts in this topic

Anybody been out on Gilsatd lately? Wow shes packed, was out there the other day and tons of houses, fished off the south point in about 40 feet of water caught some decent suspended slabs. Anybody have any luck out there recently thinking about heading back out in the warmer weather, do some hole hopping for once grin.gif. Also was wondering if anybodies ever done well at night i always fish it during the day time and do well so i was thinking of trying the night bite. Thanks for any info.

how big were the crappies? I hope red lake sized at least and not 9-11" dinks. And WOW if that lake is packed with houses thats amazing! Sounds like its going to be another sad fished out lake in a year, what a shame. Especially for that area. Just curious whats the deal with the over pressuring of lakes off pennington road? Pimushe, Rabideau, and now Gilstad, won't be any good lakes left there in a few years!

It's because people talk about them to much.

We haven't had anyone that has hit Gilstad in a couple of weeks, and the few that hit it earlier only fished it in the morning and early afternoon hours. The fishing reports for the Blackduck area in the Outdoor News has talked about good reports from Gilstad, Rabideau and Pimusche almost every week this winter (don't remember seeing it in the paper that much in the past), so it has brought more attention to those lakes.

Thats right Drake, and I think thats what is going to ruin those lakes with the attention they are getting in the Blackduck and Bemidji area reports in the Outdoor News and Outdoors Weekly. Thats right I keep a close on reports and what is said in those papers and on here on the net. I think you gotta as a fisherman, to know what lakes to not go to, and which ones are ok to fish that are not getting much pressure.

Pike you also hit it right on the nose with people talking about them to much as well, and frankly these lakes are not that big and can't take the fishing pressure that they have been recieving the last couple winters. They are not a Cass Lake or Red or Winnie. I am sure this has been preached before but I don't care because it needs to be heard, and common sense needs to be used.

It's really to bad because these fish we are talking about Crappies and Gills when they are biting can be caught in large ##'s and fairly easily located on these smaller bodies of water.

People hear and flock and alot keep limits for multiple days. These size lakes just can't sustain quality year classes with that kind of pressure.

There is not alot that can be done besides not talking about the bite. Thats the reward for doing your own scouting or just taking a chance and trying a lake. Find the fish on your own, its more fun that way. smile.gif

I hope people will use some common sense.

Thank you Pike, and I do agree scouting and figuring out a lake(s) on your own has its own reward, and then you realize how valuable it is to keep those spots and lakes to yourself and a secret. Especially when other fisherman just come up for the weekend and want an easy catch of fish or easy meal and won't put in the work you did to find the fish.

Each lake is different especially in these areas (Bemidji, and Blackduck) and once you figure a few out its very rewarding. I guess I feel fortunate to be able to fish some of these lakes before they did recieve the pressure that they are seeing now.