Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bapperpimp

Metro sunnies - keepers

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking to take a friend out this weekend and would like to find a few sunnies we can take home and have a meal with. Anybody have ideas west of the cities where I can get a few bigger sunnies? Don't need exact spots, just some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Bapper

I've had ok luck on Mitchell and Parley, action is fast, have to pick through them for size.

I would say Waconia, there has been a pretty consistent evening bite out there. Went out there last night and hammered the sunfish from about 4:45-5:15 then a steady bite until we left at 7 with a few crappies mixed in.

Prior has the biggest bluegills...If you know what you're doing....

Minnetonka, western bays. You can't go wrong with Halsteads any time of year.

Is Parley that little lake east of Waconia? I think I have fished there in the past and had decent luck. There is pretty much one deep hole where most people fish, right?

Baggerpimp.

Parley is just east of waconia.

Here's a map

http://minnesotalakes.net/LakePages_TC/parley-carver.bmp

Most of the houses should be on the eastern side, avoid fishing on the north side, as the ice can be suspect and its real shallow.

Most of the houses should be on crappie/eye spots. Move a little shallower (south) from them and you should catch a few more sunnies. The weedline is pretty shallow in this lake tapering into sand/gravel. Good luck.

Correct on the location, and on the structure in the lake. I was out about a week ago during the very cold snap, so mobility was limited, but I am guessing with a little moving around you might have better luck.

Great info guys, much appreciated. I will think about going up to Parley or maybe even try the west side of Independence. Anybody fish out there at all lately for sunnies?

could you give any hints on Halsteds bay, I am going out tonight and was hoping to try and catch something.

thanks!

As far as Halsteads goes, if you eyeball Kings Point and the point to the south of it, and draw a line connecting them, there is a weedline there that will produce pannies.

Or, punch holes north of the grass island in 10-20 FOW. Good luck.

Just to mix it up Phelps or Goose island on Tonka are still going pretty good. Crappies deeper say 25ft sunnies more like 15ft. And the sunnies will bite way after dark. Look for the clusters of perms. You'll catch more if you set up 20yds away or more than right in the perms. Drill some holes until you mark fish and go to it.