Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minimite

HAWG

20 posts in this topic

did any you locals here of a 34" (14.1 lb.) walleye c&r'd this weekend. i talked to one of the guys i'm bringin this week, last night. he said his brother in law was up there last weekend and caught and released this fish. i'm gonna try to get some pics. and see if i can get em' posted. pry won't be till next week. my buddy asked him why he threw it back, his reply was "cuz it's smaller than the 15 lb'er on my wall" smile.gifcool.gif

AGAIN,,,,, UNTIL I SEE SOME BELIEVABLE PICS, I'LL BE THE PURPLE GUY IN THE CORNER HOLDING MY BREATH......

Please prove me wrong. I'd like to see some monster pics, but it seem people always put the story before the pictures(that usually never show up!)

that's why i'm waiting to see a pic of it. i've seen some nice pics of some around the 28/29" range but haven't heard of anything this big comin off the lake.

Did it have a 2" glow power minnow stuck in it's jaw? Might have been the fish Hanson stuck on Saturday. laugh.gif

gorrilla, inhale, exhale, inhale exhale. grin.gif

If you need a hand posting the picture just email it to me.

Till then you guys be nice. tongue.gif

ST, maybe my goofy name is misleading, I'm not really usually angry or upset. Just a joker, maybe not a good one, but I try. My friends probably think my looks resemble my name so its fitting.

My point is I can make up stories all day long, but I wouldn't post one until I had a little proof. I guess my attempt to call guys out stems back to my creel survey days when I couldn't use the BS card when EVERYBODY was catching 50+" muskies in a lake that only had about a 48" maximum size at the time. When pictures were asked about out of 40-50 claims I saw zero... When they'd say it was at the taxidermists, I'd ask where, and it would get real fuzzy from there. Hmmmmmm.

that's why i jumped on here and asked if any of the locals had heard or possibly seen this catch. i'm not an expert on fish, i don't know how old a fish this size would be. that's why i was sceptical of the story and just lookin for proof, since url is still in the comeback phaze from being wiped out years ago.

it could happen and wouldn't be to suprised if a few walleyes of that size roamed red lake......it was wiped out but i am sure a few walleyes are in the lake still from the collapse!!

I'll show you the pic of the 14#er I get this weekend!Minimite will be the photographer grin.gif

Quote:

it could happen and wouldn't be to suprised if a few walleyes of that size roamed red lake......it was wiped out but i am sure a few walleyes are in the lake still from the collapse!!

Absolutely. 3-4 years ago, when there were supposedly no walleyes in the lake yet, I pulled a 28.5" out, and needless to say, released quite quickly. He was really white though...

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely. 3-4 years ago, when there were supposedly no walleyes in the lake yet, I pulled a 28.5" out, and needless to say, released quite quickly. He was really white though...

Sheepshead?? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Heh, I've caught a few of them up there as well, they always make a guy say "HUH??" when they come up... grin.gif I think this fish was probably caught and released back when you had little jonny grin.gifgrin.gif

Stating that "ALL" the walleyes in Red were extinct is like saying you raked "ALL" the leaves out of your yard that windy day last fall.

Just like the Crappies in Red are ALL from the 95' and 97' year class, even the 14" Crappies they were Catching in 95', 96', 97', 98'...And what about those 14" Crappies they were catching back in the 80's...Were those from the 95' year class too?

I caught a 9" Crappie on Red on my 3rd trip up there in 2003. I also caught an 11", alot of 14", and a 15". Were they all from the same year?

And what about the 14" and 15.5" I caught this weekend? Same year?

These Crappies have always been there...But never targeted.

Wait...We were talking about a huge walleye...

I don't doubt it.

UJ, your e-mail no es workey.

Could you e-mail me- cjbechtold@yahoo.com

Later,

Corey Bechtold

UJ is correct, many walleyes did roam the lake during the crash and those fish have had a lot of time to grow. Red is a fat fish factory with the chow that is swimming around for the predators to eat. So yes I would not be surprised to see a monster walleye hooked and landed, granted it will be a nine year old kid with a white jig and black twister tail using a Snoopy rod. It just might happen.

Corey, You got mail.

So yes I would not be surprised to see a monster walleye hooked and landed, granted it will be a nine year old kid with a white jig and black twister tail using a Snoopy rod.

That would be really cool. The kidd would be hooked for life.. grin.gif

Or every fish thereafter would be nothing but a big disapointment.

That would suck and stuff.

I haven't figured it out but kids and Snoopy rods catch BIG fish. Happy for the kids but but I'm tired of the ribbing I get with my snoopy rod trying to figure it out. laugh.gif

Not to mention big Red Lake fish catch a lot of Snoopy rods. Until I figured out attaching a huge bobber to the handle makes 'em float, my kid sent about four of 'em to Davey Jone's locker. Motoring after a big bobber with a 35" northern attached can be a trick too.

On the plus side, he had a knack for hooking other peoples lost rods which was usually some sort of up grade.

Craig