Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
suick100

Foster House Rocks Again!

3 posts in this topic

Well it was another adventure on the Mighty Red Lake with Foster at the controls maintaining a tight seal management program and excellent fishing atmosphere. My son and I arrived late Saturday morning, and began our weekend. It was his 15th birthday, so I hoped it would be memorable and it was. Within the first hour he caught 6 walleyes and one his biggest ever, just under 27 inches and weighed just shy of 7 pounds a true Red Lake beauty, and the biggest walleye I have seen personally, since I have fished on Red Lake, after a few pictures and hollering, back down the hole she went to bite another day and hopefully, will escape the underwater seal brigade that Foster is secretly training. Well the afternoon came, and again the TRIANGLE did its thing. We had one tip-up set outside for any big Gators that may be in the area and our other 3 lines set in the house. Well the flag went up mid afternoon and we raced out their, not thinking to reel our other lines in and you guessed it, the flag was set about 10 to 15 yds from the house, but when my son was pulling on the line, it seemed to get stuck, his hands were cold so he ran back to the house and get his gloves and started to yell that all three lines were down and he was missing his favorite pole in the fish house, I knew then that the gator came to our house for a visit, I told him to start reeling one of the poles and believe it or not, he reeled up the tip up line and grabbed that line again, and once again started battling this fish and brought it up the hole in the house and total mayhem ensued, then I noticed another line attached to the black tip up line, grabbed ahold of that and up came his lost fishing pole, line/hook was attached to the tip up line. Unbelieveable day of fishing, caught the northern, measured just under 38 inches and let her go quickly after a picture or two. In the evening, the crappies moved in and my son continued his fantastic day of fishing, icing 5 dandys. We ended up catching and releasing at least 40 walleyes, and all the perfect 16 and 1/2 inch keeper size walleyes were caught by my son, too. We took home our limit of walleyes, 10 Slab crappie, 7 jumbo perch and enough memories for a lifetime. Seeing my son so excited was priceless! What a trip, Thanks again Pat for your Excellent service and I can't wait for our next trip. Red Lake lives ON!

Thats an awesome story with that gator. I bet the kid will never forget his 15th Birthday! grin.gif

Hi Pikester, Yes, he will never forget his "15th" birthday, it was a great weekend and awesome time with my son! FISH ON!!!!!!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Wanderer
      Yup!  I can see how that would be annoying!    Welcome to Fishing Minnesota though.  Glad to see your posts. 
    • Jim Almquist
      Got out on Saturday along with my brother who went out in his boat. So much mud that we went our separate ways searching for better water. With 3 in his boat he caught 5 Coho and 5 Lake Trout. I found a nice spot and went 2/5 before the wind messed up the spot. Sunday morning went out with my brother to the same spot and had a double before the third line was out. Ended up going 7/11 before a storm with red in it chased us off the lake. Loonasea was correct on the nice size of the Coho's right now. All fish were caught with stick baits on top.
    • maxpower117
        Ya, I Was corrected already. Sorry. 
    • Rick G
      Soooo many spots to hit, your going to love the yak, JC!   And Royce is right about an anchor. This would be my first investment.   
    • lawman
      My unit is not a link unit. I thought they worked the bugs out of these units. 19 years ago they recalled all of these when almost all of them failed. Fingers crossed I guess.  
    • Cret Jigs
             Hi guys - went out on Blue lake yesterday .... water temps around 61 -62 on the surface.    Tried for some walleye with ripple shads in the weeds with no success, did manage a nice Bass.  we switched to crappies and managed keeping a nice meal.  Let a nice monster Blue Gill go (9.75") and kept some nice Sunnies for the frying pan.   Pan fish were pretty active if you hit the right spots.  A lot of people out there and the access was not a place to be in a hurry!!   We had to work for the crappies and the ones we caught were 9"-10" crappies full of eggs.  I would guess that although the ice was out early, many of the species are now late and delayed on the spawn.   if this weather don't warm up quick, i think the bass will drop their eggs and it won't be a good year for bass spawn this year.    Talked to some anglers out their bass fishing and they thought it was very slow and were puzzled.   Cret
    • Sushilicious
      I apologize for my word choice. I'm from chisholm n most of my camping trips growing up were decided after work on Friday n we can't do that now. The only positives that have come from the reservation system is ppl who have never been 2 the park (5%) now don't have 2 worry about a spot n the fishing guides don't have 2 worry about finding a place 4 shore lunch.
    • Wanderer
      Sorry I had to edit your title.  I've been hearing some people are upset about the change.  But I also heard there were some positives about it too.  I can't say anything one way or the other since I'm not affected.
    • Wanderer
        It does have lakers but I think they closed it for harvest.  I thought I read it was due to those lakers being a different strain and getting fished down a little too much.   That laker Rob caught was a hawg!  Too bad he got it taken away.
    • Sushilicious
      The fact that ppl have to reserve a campsite is absolute BS. The only thing the park accomplished by making ppl reserve campsites is lowering the amount of ppl who visit the park.