Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vrodharley77

Taking some kids fishing

7 posts in this topic

Just looking for some help, taking som kids fishing Saturday to Big Carnelian and would like some advice as where is a good place to start for tip ups, bringing my 9 and 8 and 3 year old out and thought this would be a great lake for some action at least for them and want this first time experience to turn them onto fishing and the outdoors

Big Marine isn't too far away from there, you should go there instead. ALOT more northerns...bigger ones too! And if you want to keep the kids busy there's lot's of sunnies and perch too

Hey thanks for the tip, where can I get on the lake? I know where it is but dont know where the access is and DNR website isnt much help, and locations to maybe try on the lake or just a general direction from the access??

thanks again

If you just head north on manning ave you'll hit mayberry trail, take a right (east) and that'll take you right to the access on the north end of the lake. There's a couple points in the north arm, stay in 12 to 17 ft. Rainbow chubs or shiners under a tip up should get you a couple pike. There's some real nice sunfish in this lake too.

And if the pike are fickle. . . the bass always raise a flag! smile.gif Last time out LM outnumbered pike 2:1. Great action and better than average size.

Took the kids out to the bay on the northeast side, wind was horrendous, but kids had a lot of fun, 8 tip ups and 6 flags, biggest northern was 18 inches but they had a blast and cant wait to go again thanks for any information given.

Definitely go there again in the summer, you'll really love it then.