Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loupepsi

Fish House Zipper

18 posts in this topic

The zipper on my fish house is made of nylon and both zippers completely broke over the weekend. I was wondering if anyone could tell me who would sew a new zipper on for me in the bemidji area. I have been looking at heavy due zippers online but i wanted to ask peoples opinion on the best zippers for fish houses. Brass? Aluminum? What size zipper? Thanks

I would say aluminum. Brass would corrode too much. As far as sewing it on. There is a shoe repair guy on Beltrami ave between 3rd and 4th st. Next to Cool Threads!! He might do it for you. I've had him sew a broken boat trailer winch strap, and he did a great job for $8.

Thanks Chris I'll have to check him out

If the shoe repair place won't do it, I would think a place that made boat covers would have the necessary equipment, or maybe an upholstery shop.

The best zipper to use is a #10 nylon coil - the cold doesn't affect it, and it will work good going around a curved opening. Brass or aluminum zippers are seldom used anymore because they will both corrode. There is nothing wrong with a nylon zipper, except sometimes they get melted and many of the fish house manufacturers use too small a size.

I could install the zipper for you - I have a canvas shop, but I'm about 50 miles north of Bemidji. I see you are from Newfolden - isn't there someone in Thief River who could do it?

Swamptiger, were are you from. I wanted to try to get it done down here since i go to college here but i will be willing to drive for a good install. The nylon zipper wasnt bad it was the zipper handle itself. I quess I melted some of the teeth and i think it is a #5 which i think is too small. About the zipper handle, it would loosen up and then it wouldnt connect the teeth. I would always have to clamp it down again with a plyers to get it to connect the teeth. Well, finally the metal just gave way and broke. It was a bad zipper from the moment i bought it. All i want is something that is durable. Don't the clams use an aluminum zipper?

I'm located about 5 miles north of Mizpah. If you go to the Upper Red Lake Association website, you will find me in the area business section. To my knowledge, there are no fish house manufacturers using metal zippers any more.

Max is that you? Woody here! I see your wife at work once in awhile! grin.gif

Hey Woody - yes, it's me.. Sherri says hi.

Nice fish you have there...

Thanks, are you fishing the Blackduck tournament this weekend?

If you want something fixed on your cavas give Swamptiger a shout. He made my first canvas for my first portable, and it lasted a long long time.

Probably go to the 1st Annual Perch Derby in Northome on Sunday..

I thought about it, but it is the last day for eye's and I want to catch some more with the family. I am 50/50 right now on heading home for it!

I've been hearing stories about some nice perch in Bartlett, but I haven't fished it yet so I thought I would go check it out.

I was thinking it was Max, and now that I know it is, hello! Long time no chat! Shoot me an e-mail one of these days!

I 2nd using swamptiger for your zipper!

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hi Matt - how's fishing?

I just got back from Red - didn't have any trouble getting my walleyes, but the crappies eluded me again.

I was out fishing on red today also. Went out of rogers. Only caught 4 walleyes.