• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Kind of Sight Pins: Cobra or Toxonics??

LoneRanger

I just bought a Hoyt package before Christmas and it came with a stock Hoyt sight with fiber optic bars that are a little small. It only has two pins but I didn't care because that's all I figure I need.

I am thinking about changing to a brighter sight sometime in the future. My brother shoots a Cobra and loves it because it came with a light that turns on inside of the fiber optic cables, so he gets all of the light in the cables, and no light where he doesn't need it.

I have looked at the Toxonics but they seem to be a lot more money than the Cobras are and if you do want a light for your cables it is extra money. However, the guy at Cabela's said that the cables that go the pins are protected better because they run along plastic and don't stick out in the open to get caught on twigs.

So what do you shoot and why? Does anyone have any further advice that I have not considered yet? Any recomendations?

Thanks.

I have a four pin Cobra sight...with the add-on light. It has worked well for me...but to be honest..the little light isnt really needed. The fiber optic picks up enough light on its own for 99.9 percent of the time....and the few times I thought about using the add-on light....it was way too dark for me to take a clean ethical shot. To each their own I guess.

The Cobra's are bright, no doubt, but I stay clear of them because of the amount of unprotected fiber optic between the spool and pins. Toxonics, I have no experience with.

Just a suggestion, take a look at Impact Archery's sights, they make a couple sights with long, wrapped fiber optics that are protected right to the end of the pin - and they are priced nicely IMO. Good luck to ya, lots of good archery equipment out there these days, take your time and you'll find something in your price range that you like. Later.

I bought a Trophy-Ridge sight for my new bow. I was going to go with a Cobra, but someone told me to go with something else because they vibrate quite a bit. A buddy of mine said to check out the trophy ridge sights. I love mine... I got the matrix guide series with the .019 pins. They are very bright with not alot of extra fiberoptic cable. You can buy a light kit if you want as well. If the prices are too high on the website, check out ebay... that is where I got mine. I paid $85 and it had not been out of the box.

I have a Trophy Ridge Matrix and my son and friend do also. The screws that hold it in place seem to wear and I cannot keep it tight and the sights changes a fair amount. I wanted to lock tite it but then when I want to make a change it might be hard to loosen the screws.

I have the TR Flatliner - I love the vertical pin design but other than that I don't care for the sight. I could NOT keep the pins from moving left/right. Standard dovetail design and I'd reef down so hard on that baby that it'd skip and screech and it still vibrated loose. Fortunately I marked it with white out so it never cost me, but frustrating. I also had a pin 'go out' on me, not visably broken but the fiber would not transmit light. Maybe just a bad apple out of the bunch, but I wouldn't recommend them. Again, I love the vert pin design, but not the rest of the sight. Sorry for derailing the original post.

Harveylee, I lock tite all of the screws on my bow. You just need the right lock tite. Cant remember if its the red or the blue. Anyways, I have to because you never know when the screw looses a little and your off a bit and end up wounding the deer. I dont always have time to shoot my bow before i go hunting. I have no problem loosening them either. As for the sight discussed earlier, I think you should go with whatever is comfortable for you. As for the light add on, I shoot with a cheap site with regular fiber optics and they still glow way past legal shooting hours. So in my opinion an expensive sight with a light add on is not needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hoyt sights were made by Toxonics. Does anyone have any info on who makes Hoyt sights?

I have never in 35 years of bow hunting had to lock tite any screws on a sight. I am going back to my pendelum sight as I never had any issues with that one. I have shot many deer with that sight but have no faith in it any longer. It may be a good sight though.

Like i said earlier i shoot with a cheap site. I think its an HHA, i paid 20 dollars for it on ebay. But i love the site and i am very accrate with it, so if lock titeing the screws is what i have to do to keep it then i will. Plus you should never over tighten a screw on your sight because the threads will just keep wareing and wareing. Thats my opinion anyways.

For those of you that have a Trophy Ridge sight and are having problems keeping it tight be careful. The reason your sight is coming loose is that the metal is compressing underneath the area you are tightening, if that makes sense. Last year I was having the same trouble and it eventually fell off my bow while shooting leagues. I contacted Trophy Ridge and they knew exactly what the problem was and sent me a brand new sight that is supposed to be made from different material. I had the new sight in less than a week at no cost. I have had the new one for a year and have had no problems with it coming loose so far.

Quote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hoyt sights were made by Toxonics. Does anyone have any info on who makes Hoyt sights?

I have not seen anything official but by the looks of it I would bet money that Toxonics does make the current Hoyt sights.

I would take the toxonic sight over the cobra simply because the toxonic does a better job of protecting the fiber optic material all the way to the end of the pin.