Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metrojoe

Moveable sights?

6 posts in this topic

Just looking for some input on moveable sights. I'm thinking of shooting more 3D shoots this summer and I'm interested in hearing what other shooters recommend.

Consider what class you're going to shoot before picking an adjustable sight. Or, are you considering shooting non-competitive but still want to use an adjustable sight? I think it's an excellent way to shoot, especially w/longer distances. Using multiple pins works nicely but having the same pin/aperature provides confidence and continuity in aiming on each shot.

I enjoy shooting longer distances and w/one adjustable pin/aperature, vs. buying multiple pins, as it makes shooting shorter distances that much easier.

One more thing to consider is if you are going to use it for hunting, it can become tough if your deer are moving and move to distances where making an adjustment is required. Often times you can set it where it shoots a little high at, say, 20yds and a little low at 30yds. If you're comfortable w/that you'll be fine.

Good luck and have fun w/the 3D's.

Thanks for the info. At this point it would only be for fun, but if I'm going to use an aid I figure I might as well take full advantage. My current setup is one pin set for 20 yards. Most of my stands only allow me to shoot out to 25 or 30 yards and in most cases my shots are 20 yards or less. I found multiple pins set at 20, 30, and 40 yards was just to cluttered. 3D shoots are something new to me and for the time being I may just add a 40 yard pin to my current setup. I'm mainly worried about the durability of moveable sights, especially while hunting. Maybe I'll need 2 bows? crazy.gif

If your not worried about winning or anything, go ahead and give it a try. They are kind of fun. I used one for a couple of years. Dial it in and set the pin where you want it to hit... You still have to judge distance correctly! And you still have to exicute the shot.

I use a 3 pin adjustable sight from HHA- I love it! However, DD hit the nail on the head- still gotta know how far away the target is and still gotta make a good shot. Also, you'll have spend a good deal of time getting it set up right. Software from places like Software For Archers will help a great deal, but you'll have to do some serious messing with it to get it perfect.

The one thing you really have to be carefull with is keeping your anchor point consistant. I had a bit of a time wiht it. Because you change your pin locations your eye has a tendancy to center the pin in the peep, which if your sight pin is moving then your anchor is changing... You could be spot on at 30 yards one day, and the next it would be 3" low?

Just something to keep thinking about.. try and do your best to keep the anchor consistant.. and you should be good to go.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• kayakfisherman
      Hi guys!  I used to be on this site long ago (participating mostly in the Mille Lacs forum), and the system wouldn't recognize my email.  So I created a new user name.   I'm planning to spend May and June in Ely.  My project is to autochart and create maps of a few small lakes I like off the Echo Trail, which I'll do via my Helix I have mounted on my bright orange fishing kayak.   I don't need any advice, as I pretty much know the area and what works to catch fish.  I'm just looking to possibly connect with other Ely anglers while I'm up there.  I'm tentatively planning on starting next week, assuming the "wintery mix" and wind in the forecast abates.  I'll be paddling around a bunch of different small lakes, going back and forth and back and forth, listening to either WELY or WEVE on my radio.  So if you see me, stop by and say hey.
    • huntnfish
      First off, welcome to the site. The Red River page gets kind of quiet but if you look back at previous posts there's a lot of good info. I've never fished much for cats but when I have I have always used cut up goldeye. I've also heard frogs are good but I have no first hand experience with that.    1- I feel that the fishery in Fargo is excellent and overlooked by a lot of people. The biggest eyes that I've caught have been on the river.  2,3- I normally use a chartreuse twister tail on the river with a jig head. The main reason for the color choice is because that is what I have an abundance of. I've caught them on white and yellow also. I don't use live bait at all unless the kids are along. They're not really able to do much pitch and retrieve yet and the minnows give them a little better chance I feel.  4- the only thing I've used is cut bait so I'd recommend finding some gold eyes or some suckers and chunk them up for bait.  5- last time I looked the ND NR license was something like $35.    My biggest tip for the river and pitching jigs would be that if you aren't getting snagged once in a while your jig is too light. Hung up too often and you are too heavy. I'm normally in the 1/8-1/4 ounce range. I have also caught a bunch of fish pitching cranks. I wasn't a believer until I watched Ed Carlson fish next to me and reel in fish while I kept on pitching my jig and not getting anything. Try something that's got a nice wide wobble. And if you are going to toss anything into the river be sure to remember that anything thats tied onto that line may not come back. I have donated lots of tackle to the old river gods over the years but I have also been rewarded with a lot of fish and some real dandies. These river fish have a lot of fight in them.     Remember that if you're keeping any walleyes or sauger on the red is that the limit is less than the MN and ND bag limit. I have seen more than one person ticketed at the north dam with their stringer of 4 eyes.     
    • eyeguy 54
      Hit the secret beach on the sippi for a couple hours today with some crawlers. wind was pretty crazy. smally bit first then a sucker. then caught 4 eyes and decided to leave. a young guy came down while I was fishing and was casting a spinnerbait and I asked him what he was after. he said bass so I let him know that it is illegal to target them and eyes till next month and that the game warden watches people in the area quite often. He said he had no idea he could not fish for them, thanked me and said he wont cast anymore. nice young guy. I bet he will be down again with some crawlers. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've seen a lot of people dragging raps for "crappies" before the opener
    • monstermoose78
      Bummer Erik