Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappie todd

wind direction and success.

7 posts in this topic

Some lakes have better fishing success with a south wind.Others have it with a west wind. Does URL have a preference that anyone may have noticed.?

Normaly it is not the wind direction in the winter but what type of front created the wind change. In the summer I think East winds produce huge bites (pre-storm) South winds are so so (front overhead) North winds are slow (Front has gone by) and the wind is always west when steady, normal bite.

Well I thought a guide of your stature should know the bible of fishing Jon. Wind from the east fish bite the least, wind from the west they bite the best. grin.gif

This is Red lake.

I always say; "Take all the fishing books with all the do and do nots and just throw them in the dumpster when you get to Waskish, these fish don't play by the rules".

Yes Wind from the East fish bite the least but we are also fishing Crappie in a 15 foot deep lake that is not susposed to have them.

The same lake that the common crappie rig was 12lb test a large JB Weasel and a shiner minnow just off the bottom?

confused.gif

Okay, I'll expose my ignorance(once again).I can never remember. When you say south wind, thats wind coming out of the south, or wind heading south? And as far as barometric pressure goes concerning fishing, is a high front better than a low front? Or are they basically the same when you have them constant for a few days at a time. It sounds like a larger storm system may be rolling in later in the week.

Quote:

Okay, I'll expose my ignorance(once again).I can never remember. When you say south wind, thats wind coming out of the south, or wind heading south?

Ok now I am confused also...I mean coming from the south or coming from the north.

I think (never a good idea) that pre high pressure and high pressure on Red shuts them down hard and a low drop means get your but on the water or ice because the pre-storm bite is awesome. Wrecked a few boats chasing that theory. grin.gif

I second Jonny, (here's a couple canadian pennies) I usually watch the pressure closely. When you have sunshine and colder weather, and that BP is around 30.50 or higher, frown.gif not so good. But when clouds and a storm comin in, and that BP is 30.00 and dropping, grin.gif