• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whiskey Flats Report...

Fished Whiskey Flats with a buddy on Saturday. Fished one spot all day in approx. 27ft of water, just off a sand bar. Used both Shiners and Chubs, with the shiners producing a bit better. Caught a few small Walleye on a jigging spoon, but most fish came on dead sticks with a jig and shiner.

We didn't catch any biggun's but did manage to stay busy just about the entire time. we ended up taking home 6 Walleye, 6 Saugers, and something like 9 big fat perch. The big perch of the trip was a good 13.5"+ inches, and released a few smaller ones under 11" inches. The average size of our Sauger/Walleye keepers was only 13", but still made for a good fish fry Saturday Night....mmmm,mmm! grin.gif

The bite was pretty good in the morning and evening, with the mid day bite being the best. Another fun fishing trip on Whiskey Flats, can't wait to get back there and catch more fish!

Cat man how was the road on the way out, is it marked and would there be a problem running a one ton out there. Hope to get up there but a little weary of the all the cracks you have to go over to get there.

The road? What road? grin.gif There wasn't a road, but you could go pretty much anywhere you want. If you drive close to the snowmobile trail, it'll get you out to south tip, then find a vehicle trail heading towards the flats and your good to go. There were alot of cracks to cross...I think we crossed 5 small pressure ridges. They were very easy to get across, just had to try and not get stuck in the deeper snow around them. If I didn't have a 4x4, I would have easily got stuck. My Dodge Durango doesn't have alot of clearance, so if you have a truck with four wheel drive and sits up higher it should be no problem.

It's also a pretty slow drive out there, the ice isn't the smoothest and if you don't want your stuff flying all over, you'll want to take your time. It took us a good half an hour to get out to where we wanted to fish.

The only thing that might make it hard, is if the cracks open up or move around with this warmer weather? You might want to have two planks with just in case!

By the way, you still have to pay $7.00 to use the access?? They must be making out pretty good, because they definetly aren't doing any up-keep to any roads....I don't mind paying access fee's, but when there isn't any road what so ever, I don't understand????

I guess I don't understand that either... That's a ripoff if you ask me... You would think they would be happy with folks stopping in for a bump, and a burger this year with no snow. I'd be tempted to drive down where the docks are. Public access put in by DNR. (yes, the docks by the resort) For 7 bucks there should be some sort of effort...

Quote:

If you drive close to the snowmobile trail,

Just a reminder to stay a little ways away from the staked trail. CO's are handing out tickets to any wheeled vehicle on the snowmobile path.

For the fisherman who enjoy a smooth snowmobile ride out and back without their gear getting banged around is very nice. Plus I'm sure the average joe snowmobiler enjoys the ride even more with out their skiis falling into wheel tracks.

And I want to throw out a big Thank You to the kind fisherman who helped us out by drilling out our holes on Saturday. It's always a heartbreaker to get to the spot and not get the auger running.

Thank you

That's why I said "close"...Not on. grin.gif I sure hope people have more common sense than that? If not, they shure shouldn't be driving a vehicle and they should get a ticket! But I guess it really wouldn't suprise me??? crazy.gif

Glad to hear ya'll got some holes drilled for you. I think most fisherman would be more than happy to drill a couple holes for someone, I would'nt mind doing it. I'm, always worried about that when heading out on the lake, especially when I'm going along ways out away from everyone.

Did he drill you "good" holes full of fish???? grin.gif

Quote:

Did he drill you "good" holes full of fish????
grin.gif

Yep, he didn't do too bad...we had our 8 + a sauger or two and a couple perch. Not too shabby...better than just sitting there starring a hole in the ice I guess. grin.gif