Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
setterguy

Small mouth presentations in spring

4 posts in this topic

A buddy has a cabin on the west side and while we have always had decent luck on the walleyes, I was wondering the best way to go after the smallies, as this might give us something to do during the slower parts of the day. Is pitching plastics onto rocks the best way to go? Should I be looking for mid lake structure, islands, rock piles ect or are docks and shorelines a better bet? Thanks in advance and see you on the V.

Time of year is the key---

Need more info----

Plastics is always good and topwater Oh' my can that be just awesome.

Time of year is key to location. May/June is not the same as July/August

Doug

if you are talking may...i would say you are on the right track...but even early in the year if its been warm....they will get up on the rocks ecspecially when there is a good wind....points and midlake reefs will work....it will depend of cours on the weather when they spawn....but they can still be catchable....the largemouth seem to be biting real good around that time also....if no bass....go for some big pike with a sucker minnow...there is some fine northern fishing to be had in may...........i like the grandpa analodgy.....heck with everything else to see, hear and what...now a guy can get fake weeds!!!anyway...good luck and fish hard...

Thanks guys, we are usually up there the week after walleye opener, I will have to bring the bassin rods along this year.