Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big eyes

tullibees

6 posts in this topic

hey i was wondering if the tullies have started biting yet. we used to fish for them and did ok. the last few years have been slow. wondering if anyone has been getting any. also wondering if anyone has some tullies they would like to get rid of. i would come and pick them up. blush.gif

Are the tullies biting yet?

hey someone out there has to be fishing tullibees. usually by now there are biting. usually off of stoney point. let me know if anyone is doing any good. looking at coming up on sunday. can a person drive on with a truck or do you need a 4 wheeler. also are the perch biting anywhere. any help would be great. laugh.gif

Big eyes:

I haven't checked nor have I heard anything on the tullibees. However, I can tell you that the last 2 to 3 years have been very non-productive. If I get up there any time soon I will post.

The last time I was up I smacked the tulibees. I caught around a dozen 16-18"ers. Problem is, I was fishing for crappie. I only got two of those. The tulibee were suspended and over the deepest water in our bay. I have heard they are good smoked so I am hoping to sample some from our neighbors up north to see if it is something worth buying a smoker for. They were fun to catch so if they are tasty to boot....all the better. laugh.gif

How about a report from an absolute rookie out fishing for his first tullibees....

Dad and I went out on Leech on Saturday, neither one of us had angled for them before. Luckily we run into some fellows that gave us some good pointers.

We marked some fish, actually caught 9 total. From what I understand, that is pretty slow but we had fun and will be back again next year. Spent most of the day out there, got a good burn on the face and the bite came and went all day long.

Put the fish in the smoker on Sunday and we are good to go for a little bit with fresh smoked Tullibees.

The ice where we were at was really getting rotten, actually dropped the wheeler in not too far off shore. Had to winch it out with the other wheeler, I wouldn't try that again, even foot traffic was getting shakey.

Mike