Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Red lake

23 posts in this topic

Anyone hit this lake lately -- any info??

Thanks

Hit.

Need info, fellas.

Hit.

whatcha fishin for? eyes or crappies?

hitman, like i said today we were going for the walleye., and we did alright ., but if you get into a rent a house and not getting much. bring a auger and start popping holes out and about and do some hard water trolling., like i said .,the other buds that were fishing with use were only 30 yards from us and they didnt get crap., hey good luck to you,.

DH,

I am planning on going up this Sunday/Monday and continuing on to Long point Monday/Tuesday. I can report when I return. The Slabfest is scheduled for this Saturday and it's like flies on hot piece of you know what, so I plan to stand down for the Saturday venture.

If you dont like moving around give winnie a shot, thats where I spend most of my time walleye fishing. We've had some super productive weekends out there...30,50,70+ walleyes a trip. Although these past couple of weeks have been slow due to the never ending cold snap.

Hit, you just have to get out and move around until you have fish. Stay away from the crowds, and you'll be ok. From what I hear, the North shore is putting out fish, either Hillman's or Westwinds, but I've heard better reports on Hillman's. 6-8 miles out and you should be ok. I don't think walleyes will be a problem, but if you want slabs you may have to move around.

Was up this past weekend, and it was slow for us. We weren't mobile though either. We had our own auger just the one day (then it left with the guy that brought it) - we went searching for a couple hours - with no luck. Did catch a few nice eyes in the 22-24 inch range -- in the slot so back they went. I think we ended up with 6 crappies for the bucket when it was all said and done, probably about the same # of eyes.

Quote:

Was up this past weekend, and it was slow for us. We weren't mobile though either. We had our own auger just the one day (then it left with the guy that brought it) - we went searching for a couple hours - with no luck. Did catch a few nice eyes in the 22-24 inch range -- in the slot so back they went. I think we ended up with 6 crappies for the bucket when it was all said and done, probably about the same # of eyes.

I was thinking about joining the Slabfest this weekend but the extension for my old Eskimo hasn't arived to date. :-( I am down to three inches from the transmission around here.

How thick was the ice on Red?

Thanks for the great info guys -- keep me updated as much as you can.

I will post a reply as soon as I get back.

Hitman

The guy with us didn't have his extension - and he made it - BARELY - she was down all the way and popped through. I would recommend bringing it. I never did measure the thickness, so I can't answer for certain. I saw one guy who must have had a 2ft extension - he could barely reach the handles when he started drilling??

Bob,

Feel free to join us for Slabfest....If you haven't received your extension there will be plenty of holes already drilled. Between Borch, S.T., Dietz, and myself, we will be turning that ice into Swiss Cheese laugh.gif

I hope you guys leave some for us -- we are going to be there the Monday after slab fest.

wink.gif

A friend of mine goes up there every Mon/Tue and has been for the last 5 weeks. He comes home with his limit of walleyes just under the slot and they usually catch around 40-50 walleyes. They usually catch about 10-15 crappies and almost all are around 10-12". They have caught some that were over or right at 14".

Great info.

Thanks

BTW -- how did he do this past monday/tuesday?

I honestly haven't heard from him yet. They go through some outfit up there but I am not sure which one, all I know is the guys name is Spider(I think it might be a nickname). I am pretty sure he's using white or blue and white frostee jigs and crappie and fathead minnows. I would love to go with him sometime but I have this thing called work, kind of sucks.

Where'd you end up renting a shack from Hit? If you can say on here that is??? confused.gif

Yeah, i can -- I guess. He is an advertiser so I am told.

His last name is Foster -- and he has been a guide up there for many years -- like 20.

I hope all goes well. There are a feel bad stories up there with people not cleaning or doing there job, but this guy swounds like the real deal.

Any of you guys heard of this fella?

hitman...foster has some great houses...he will check on ya once in a while too and if your not catching, he don't mind hooking up to the hoouse and moving it for ya....he can be ornery at times but is a good hearted guy...hope you have fun.

Quote:

Bob,

Feel free to join us for Slabfest....If you haven't received your extension there will be plenty of holes already drilled. Between Borch, S.T., Dietz, and myself, we will be turning that ice into Swiss Cheese
laugh.gif

I will have to take you up on the offer as my extension won't be ready for the weekend.

I can sure bring some auger gas if needed as I have a fresh gallon of 91 octane mixed 25:1 with Jiffy oil.

Vital --

Thanks.

Yeah, he seems like a grumpy duy but I understand that he will work hard for us.

I can't wait to get up there.

Hit

I have rented from him, and he was very good. Let us try some of his empty houses to move around and catch fish. He also had us on fish.

F-Dog --

Great to hear the positive info.

Thanks

Hitman.