Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HossFisher

Ottertail

7 posts in this topic

I went up to Ottertail the week after Christmas and did ok on Walleyes, but did real well on the Perch. I haven't been able to make it up there at all and looking to make one last run before the season closes. Hows the fishing been up there the last month?

I have been out the last two weekends and really struggled for size, 9 in and above.. this weekend was better than last though.. I am in the amor flats..anyone eles doin any good with the perch..depth is all I want not your exact GPS location, we always stay shallow but i am thinkin of movin deeper.

Been getting a few in the 30 foot range the last two weekends...A LOT of sorting to get a few keepers...

id prolly fish 25-30 feet too.. thats the depth I've had my best luck out there

I've had my best luck around 40+ ft. which is where the dropoff levels off where i'm at. Not the numbers you catch up shallow but better size. I normally keep every other perch and don't keep any less than 9". Last weekend had a flurry from 12:30 to 1:30 when I put 10 in the bucket all from 9.5" to 10.5" seems hard to find any larger than that. I was out from 10:30 till 2:45 and brought home 16. My father caught two that were 11" when he came out but thats been it for over 10".

Are you catching many small fish in the 40 plus FOW? Just wondering how successgully they go back down the hole should you want to release something.

Like I posted 50% aren't keepers. I've only had a couple that didn't go back down usually they go right back and you can watch them on the vex. Not sure how they feel when they get back down. It's very common on perch lakes to fish deep. Devils Lake ND 35+ all the time best luck at 38 4 me, Winni 30+, LOW 30-40, Mille Lacs 30+. I've fished lakes in ND at 50 - 60 foot but it's a real chore, always very few small fish that deep except on winni where we caught a ton of 6-8".