Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spoonbill

Big Stone Border water opener?

24 posts in this topic

When is the opener going to be this year for the border waters of big stone? I heard the april 21 and also april 28th. confused.gif

it's the 21st

Where did you get the 21st?

In the 2007 fishing handbook page 51 it says April 28?

Both the MN and SD Online pages state the opener is on the 21st.

Evidently, the MN hard copy says the 28th. I'm not sure what to think of this? I say we print the online book off and go fishing!

Rost, are you hitting Big Stone for the opener? The Mrs and I were yapping about maybe hooking the boat up behind the vintage 1972 white trash RV and heading that way.

If the opener is indeed on the 21st, I will be on Hendricks. The wifey is out of town that weekend, so I'll take the kids to grandma's in Ivanhoe to spend quality time while I fish. Clever plan eh!?

Dude, nice plan!!!

it is the 21 st it was printed wrong in the hard copy. and south dakota had it as the 21st as of last friday the mn fisheries had an emergancy metting and had it changed

back in 2005 and 2004 we had great fishing on the opener and the weekend after but last year was tough. how did you guys do?

I'm thinking about getting out for the first time to the SD-MN opener on Big Stone this spring... How are the crowds up there on opener, is there room to fish or does it get hectic like when MN opens up?? Just curious, cuz I'd luv to get into some early spring 'eyes!

Their is a lot of people but the lake is so long that people our spread out so it isn't to bad. The weather always is horrible along with the wind which seems to keep people off the lake. But its usually a good time gets you out their to make sure everthing is running the way you want.

Sounds good! thats a good point, making sure the equipment is working soundly after sitting all winter... Is there usually a decent bite so early, or is it really more to get the boat running again.. ?

We only got 2 walters last year on opener but it was miserable. It rained all weekend and the wind did not stop. In 2004 we got our limit everyday and went back the next weekend and did it again. In 2005 we had to fish hard to get some but we managed 6. The fish you do catch are nice fish atleast. Basically it all depends on the weather leading up to the opener. Don't be afraid to fish shallow you will catch them right on shore in less than 1' of water sometimes.

hi fellow fishermen far as i know big stone openeris april 21st i'll be heading out there that weekend i know the area well and be than happy to share any information i can about the lake or if you looking for places to camp. waleye action is usually pretty decent on opener but as any lake you may have to work to get them if the conditions are adverse.

big stone opener im sure is the 21stof april some years it falls 3 weeks before minnesota opener fishing should be good opening weekend hoping weather is more favorable than last year it was windy and wet dont take much wind for the lake to produce some rollers. i know the area pretty good if you have some questions ask away i will try and provide an answer best i can. smile.gif

Hi my dad and I fished last year got out at 10 am and came off at noon with are limit. They were pretty shallow . We used lindy rigs with leeches and moved pretty fast . it was cold but we found are spot out of the wind a little bit. We will be there this year to , is it deffinetly the 21st , Anybody can stop by and say hello we will be in a 2007 Crestliner Sportfish with a Merc Optimax 115, we will see ya all out there and everybody good luck!

Wow! Reading all of these posts sure makes me want the 21st to come rolling around!! I cant wait to get out fishing that much earlier than the Minnesota opener!! It should be a great time and sounds like there aint too bad a chance of getting an 'eye or 2 as well!!

My family has a cabin on the minnesota side, and i have made it up there for the opener the last 6 years..Never did have the best luck, but it sure is nice to get the boat out in the waves,rain, and of course the occasinal snow shower lookin for the eyes...Opener is always a blast, even if ya get skunked!

Hey Minnetonka man your using lindy rigs with a leech and you do pretty good huh. R U using a spinner or just plain hook short or long snell if you don't mind me asking. I fish on the sd side normally across from mallard point and the public launch north of their. Do you fish the southern end by the islands or do you stay north. Sounds like you know what your doing must have a blast.

Couldnt agree more, opener is a blast whether you get some or none.. It is kinda too bad that I tend to get none though... :/

south end of the lake is good during opener usually i dont have a boat but if someone wouldnt mind a tag along i do know the lake pretty good and would be happy to go along

We use plain red or blue circle hooks, very small hooks,arm length snell, We fish close to Ortenville, we were fishing a transition from sand to rocks in about 12 fow. Weve been to the border opener the last three years , nothing the first year , second year caught 6 and last year we limited out it also helps to have GPS maping with sonar . The best way to find the eyes is look at the depth and drop a cam down find one their will be a lot! Good luck on opener . Fish On.

Nice! If this year is slow fishing them shallow I will try to go out a little deeper and give that a try. Thanks much. Whats fun if you find them at dark and use lighted bobbers atleast if the weather cooperates.

We have been out for the last 6 or so openers. Like others have said the fish usually cooperate the weather usually doesn't...

Fish tend to be caught everywhere on the lake which is nice for everyone to be able to spread out. On the flip side more resorts are on the south end so more people tend to be around the islands as it can be a long cold boat ride to the north end and why bother if you are catching fish grin.gif

I usually fish with minnows but prefer leeches on a slip bobber after dark no reason just have had success so have confidance in it... Eye's like minnows after dark to

Not sure if we will make it this year we sold our cabin but still have relatives in the area we can visit wink.gif