Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Yeti

Sled dogging. Where to start?

6 posts in this topic

In yesterdays paper, there was an article about sled dogging into BWCA for Lakers. Man, that looks like a blast!! Any suggestions on where to start or who to go through? That, or if anyone has done this, do you mind sharing your experience. Definitely something I want to try.

I am not sure if Wintergreen's dog sled lodge does that or not, but that would be a good place to start. I just typed in "dog sled ely mn" into google and a bunch of stuff came up-check that also. Maybe Great Outdoors knows something...

Justin

Yeti,

There are several dog sledders that can take you fishing for a day, or an overnight trip. I don't know if I can post names, so call me at 218-365-4744, and I can give you names of a few of the mushers that would specialize in the kind of trip you are seeking. ooo.gif

I've done two trips (one fishing and one not) and they were both a great time. Winter camping is an option and can be very enjoyable if you prepare correctly. I had good luck with both operations out of Ely. Don't know if I am supposed to name them on this forum so I won't. I'm sure if you check around you will find a first class operation.

Yeti, just log onto the Ely Chamber of Commerce site at www.ely.org. You should find a bunch of info there, and you can also phone the chamber directly.

Kelly Murphy is the musher I know best who does this, though there are MANY around Ely who do it and do it well. I'm friends with Kelly and his lead man, and they bring clients all winter into Knife Lake, Basswood and other lakes up that way. Day trips and overnight camping both. Kelly hauled out a 20+ last year up in that country.

Jim, it's no problem posting advice based on your personal experience about which musher to use. As long as it doesn't read like ad copy and no commercial Web site link or contact info is given (posting that info is reserved for FM sponsors).

I went back in 1999 with Kelly Murphy and would have to agree with Stcatfish though I think Kelly had a different partner back then. We didn't go to Knife for lakers with him but had him drop us off at Rams Head. After I wished we would have gone to Knife. He was real accomadating and made the trip in and out a whole lot of fun.