• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing report

fireball

I can respect your opinion but I just don't think your opinion was a very good one.......I have been to Red many times and I have been to Mille Lacs many times and alot of other lake in between.....The best producer of great outings is Red by far......I have had many many trips to Red where I have caught too many walleye and crappies to count.....and there have been times where I went up and only caught 1 or 2 crappies the whole trip...but compared to overall success and overall size of the fish....I will drive the extra 3 hours past Mille Lacs and any other lake on the way to fish Red......Good Luck

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minimite

• DannyD

• james_walleye

• fireball

Thats too bad about your trip but also thats too bad that you feel that way about the lake. I can see that driving 5hrs and not doing very well can pi$$ ya off a lil.

The thing is you have to enjoy every single second you have when you are outside enjoying something that is clean and pure. For some people it sounds kind of crazy but I can't think of much more I would want to do than to stare at a dark 8" hole in the ice and here the hum of that vexy. I am thankful to have a fishery like this still available to us. I feel for ya but yet take er easy on the lake.

That's a pretty poor attitude to have about fishing. To have a bad trip and then bash the lake because of it is ridiculous. I love Red lake and will always go up there in chase of the monster slabs and fat walleyes.

I love red lake. I have only went three times and have done really bad each time. Only 6 walleyes and havent even caught a crappie. I went on monday the 19th and only caught 2 walleyes although my trip was cut short when my fish house zipper broke. But all 6 of thoose walleyes were 13 to 16 inchers and thats worth the trip everytime.

Thats absolutely hilarious, slamming URL into the ground. I just got back from 3 days on the lake. My expectations were that we would catch a bunch of eyes, but too find the crappies i would have too work my tail off. I covered alot of ground out of Hillmans and i just couldnt find the crappies. I had hoped with a lot of moving it would happen but it didnt. Thats fishing, luck wasnt on my side as far as that goes. On the flip side though, 6 of us caught about 150 eyes in that 3 days. And we did manage about a half dozen straggler crappies. Now my question is, how many lakes in this state can 6 guys go for 3 days in the middle of February and catch that many walleyes. In general, every place we drilled holes we caught walleyes, that doesnt happen just anywhere.

Quote:

Thats absolutely hilarious, slamming URL into the ground.

If thats directed towards me, I was saying even though i did bad each time i loved the trip. Some of the best hunting and fishing trips I have had didnt involve harvesting animals.

Lou, no i wasnt referring too you. As far as someone else goes not wanting too drive 5 hours too fish Red again, thats ok because the couple URL newbies i brought with me are hooked. I'd bet my house that this is more the case than not, 1st timers getting absolutely hooked on URL than "veterans" not wanting too come back. By the way i wish i would have known which vehicles some of the guys on here drove I would have stopped you and said hello. I saw some vehicles coming and going alot and im sure maybe i saw kelly-p or jon and didnt even know it.

It is a great lake for Walleyes and great lake in general, but to drive up 5 hours to keep 2 walleyes isn't worth it to me especially when your figure the cost of gas. That is just my opinion I realize other people enjoy going up thier regardless of how they do. I think everyone gets something different out of fishing in general and that is what makes such a great sport. Thier is no doubt it is breath taking up thier especially during the ice fishing season

Not that I want or need any more company on Red,,,,

But to respond to you and the thousand others I hear making these oddly similar statements, I have to say why isn't your kind only going to Morey's Fishhouse instead. For me and most childlike adults its about the catching, right? It always has been since the cane pole bullhead days, I've just enjoyed something pulling on the line.

I just hit Red last night with a buddy and we caught 9 walleyes, one perch, one northern, and missed at least as many in three hours. Adding our four keepers to the pail of nice sunnies and crappies from another northern lake rounded out another great trip to URL. That makes three this year, with the others two being even more successful.

I guess I don't mind that you would rather be on Tonka or Waconia or Prior catching 5-6" trophy sunnies and 8" crappies and watching sailboarders, BUT don't expect me to understand it...

Where else can one expect to catch tons of walleyes, HUGE northerns, and maybe even trophy crappies, along with seeing eagles, deer, etc. I'll bet not 5 hours south...

I dont understand people who wont go somewhere because they only can keep 2 walleyes. How about the getting away too the northwoods with some buddies, and oh yeah, how about the dozens or even hundred other walleyes you catch and throw back? Like i said 6 of us went up and caught about 150 eyes in 3 days. We each kept 2 fish one day and had ourselves a fish fry. We each kept our 2 the next day and took them home. But had i not brought a fish home i wouldnt have cared a bit. What a blast it was catching fish like that while sitting around with buddies i hadnt seen in months.

I agree with the guy earlier. If all some people want is a meal of fish than gather your buddies and head too the nearest restaurant. Its alot easier for you and alot less time out of your life. A fishing trip has too be alot more than what you bring back for you freezer too make it worthwhile.

Reports are the Band will be selling walleyes at the Mall Of America next year so you guys won't have to drive so far.

You guys must only fish Red Lake if you think that is the only lake you can catch quality walleyes or see Deer run or Eagles fly. Thier are good qualities lakes North within the Twin Cities in Lindstrom or Chisago and Lakes west in Alexandria or even south down towards Mankato or St Peter that produce quality fish and good scenary all with 1 to 2 hours from home( Milli Lacs also). I will give you the quality of the Crappies are not to be compared with any other lake, but that will gone in the next few years ( one class of fish boys 1995). You also can't tell expectations don't run higher when you have more time and money invested regardless if you keep fish or not. I have seen the fishing reports and Red Lake has a slow bite just like other lakes have. So tell me in these postings how you would feel about a 5 hour drive hotel cost and weekend shot when thier was little or no action as can happen in any fishing trip. Some how I just don't buy into the fact you would be so enthused about your fishing trip and I have had both on that lake. I was not bashing anyone for going up to Red Lake merely expressing my personally opinion. But your right I would not expect you to understand, because it sounds to me like ignorance is bliss in this case. So you guys have fun and you can have my 2 walleyes

Danny, did you fish the lake before 1999?

Do you think the 14" Crappies they were catching in 1997 are of the same 1995 year class of the 14" Crappies that many have caught this year?

If there is one year class, from 1995, it is agreed that it was a huge spawn. But, I wonder, doesn't it take spawning Crappies to create more Crappies?

So did the 1995 year class just happen like a pregnant virgin, divine intervention?

And do we really believe that the 100,000's of 1,000's of Crappies that have been roaming the lake the past 12 years never once had a successful spawn?

The justification is always that "We don't catch small fish, therefor, there must be none"

I don't think they were catching nothing but 6-8" Crappies back in 1997 were they?

I have only been going to Red since 2001, but I have heard, even since my first trip 6 years ago, how "This is the last year of the slabs".

They must grow to 14" overnight, and then stay that size until they are caught or die.

Hey, I'll catch your 2 Walleyes, but I'm gonna throw them back. And I will have fun.

I just wonder, why are you reading the URL thread if you don't fish the lake or ever plan to??? You certainly aren't looking for a line on a hot bite....are you??? confused.gifconfused.gif

Good, I'll take them. If someone decides to make the drive to URL and the fish dont cooperate thats just to bad!! It can happen on a 1 hr drive also. We just got back last night (in the blizzard) and it took us 8.5 hrs to make it back its usually a 5 hr drive for me with 5 fish to show for a 48hr trip. Its all about choices. I plan on doing it again in March.So please "stay home" It gives me a chance at your walleyes and crappies. Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well crappies have been in Red Lake for a long time and my grandpa said he never caught little ones and that was before the lakes walleyes crashed.

what does the Vikings have anything to do with it. Every body to their own. Lets just all get along, and catch some (Contact Us Please) fish ooo.gif

Once again, 150 eyes in 3 days doesnt happen often anywhere else. I fish the St. Peter/Mankato/Waterville area religiously and yeah there are some good lakes but 150 eyes in 3 days good. Of course there are good lakes all over the state, but where else can 3 days like this be had, not too mention bonus 14-15" crappies? Pretty much no where else.

On the other hand, i'm not really sure why i care if someone thinks Red isnt worth the drive. I do, and my circle of friends and I will keep coming. I've fished all over this state and have never had the kind of fishing i get day in and day out on that lake. I just think its rather sad that someone wouldnt go up there because they can only keep 2 fish rather than 6.

I think it's cool you like to fish thier and have had great success, but not everyone has had your kind of success and it's a tougher pill to swallow when you drive 5 hours up instead of 1 or 2 hours. I realize the payoff is alot better on that lake for the quality of fish you can catch and the action you can have. Keeping 2 walleyes versus 6 walleyes shouldn't be the reason you go or not go. I have read alot post and thought about it and maybe you all have the right idea and I am just missing the boat pardon the pun.