Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toddsmidt

How's the Bite? How small is too small?

6 posts in this topic

Coming up to LOW in 5 days. How's the bite?

Also, around South Dakota, I will only keep a walleye if it's over 13 inches long. Should I fish with the same principles on LOW?

I just returned from LOW today and fished it from 2/15-2/18. We started out in 23' for the first 2 days and got 12 fish each day and threw back a 27" and a 28". The last two days we fished Morris Gap and got less keepers but threw a lot of big ones back along with a 30" northern. Everyone we talked to said the deep water was really slow.

this is personal preference. We only keep fish from 14"-17" most of the time. I prefer the 14"-15" fish over anything else.It also depends on what you are catching we have had days where it hard to catch smaller fish. Smaller meaning under 16".

it has to do with what you are comfortable with typically on the south end of the lake you will catch plenty in the 13"-17" range.

Sounds good.

Just got back from long point, Sat. was in 28' an had a ok bite, me an my daughter keeping 10 fish across the bucket or better. Sun. moved into 20" started fishing about 8:30 an buy nine thirty was done with 4 nice walleyes, couldnt get a sauger that shallow. Small fish out deep, better quality walleyes in shallow. Sun. started out bright an sunny but cloud cover brought the fishing to alot of lookers but no committers by ten thirty.I was happy. Later boar

The 10 year old & I fished Arnesons reef Saturday and managed to perfect the catch technique of the 8 inch and less walleye and sauger. Only 1 fish on the dead stick. Every single other one had bit on the jig. Ended up keeping 5 that with a stretch, crossed the bucket....

This morning, we fished Gull Rock. Even slower... and smaller... Managed 3 keepers and gone by 2 p.m. Today the jig stick still out produced the dead.

Is that common this time of year?