Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rangedog

Road access at Timbuktu

10 posts in this topic

Is it safe to drive on the ice at the landing at Timbuktu? I would be going into Niles Bay.

I wouldn't if I was you. I am not sure how the ice is up there but getting through either of the narrows would be very questionable. I would go out of the access by Muskego Point and drive from there. With the small amount of snow on the ice you can go anywhere you want. Some of the drifts are very hard though so watch out.

Rangedog,

I am not sure about that access area. You could drive down there to see if other vechicles have been useing it...?? confused.gif

I would guess that they have.

Cliff

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way that even the crazy people would try to get out onto Niles Bay thru Timbuktu. All areas leading away from Timbuktu are bad for vehicles. You will (not might) get wet. Go to Muskego's access or one of the other accesses in Wakemup Narrows and drive up the lake or go around to Vermilion Dam Lodge area and get on the road that comes out in that area. Oak Narrows is bad even for snowmobiles most of the time so keep the vehicles out of there and enjoy the fishing. Quite a few fishing in the crappie area on the north end of Niles this weekend.

Shamrock,

Good call!!

Nice to have you guys up on that end of the lake to keep us informed on conditions up there!

Cliff

Just trying to keep the pager quiet.

Isn't there a staked snowmobile trail that goes through oak narrows? How are the conditions for getting through this area with a snowmobile?

Thanks.

Yes the main snowmobile trail runs through there. This area is known for bad ice. Especially the areas that are marked as bad ice. They only mark the bad areas that are along the snowmobile trail. The east channel also has bad ice in it. Just don't stop in the bad ice areas!!!

Quote:

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way that even the crazy people would try to get out onto Niles Bay thru Timbuktu. All areas leading away from Timbuktu are bad for vehicles. You will (not might) get wet. Go to Muskego's access or one of the other accesses in Wakemup Narrows and drive up the lake or go around to Vermilion Dam Lodge area and get on the road that comes out in that area. Oak Narrows is bad even for snowmobiles most of the time so keep the vehicles out of there and enjoy the fishing. Quite a few fishing in the crappie area on the north end of Niles this weekend.

I guess I should qualify my response a little more.

When I said vehicles, I meant cars and trucks, not 4 wheelers and snowmobiles. All though, every year, a number of snowmobiles and 4 wheelers get soggy trying to go thru that area.

Yes, there is a snowmobile trail that goes thru Oak Narrows. The trail is safe but stay on the marked route and do not stop in the narrow parts. And as Heartattack states, the north east channel is not marked and also has some very dangerous ice on it.

O.K., thanks for the info. Don't get up that way too much so I wanted to check it out before we take a snowmobile run up to the landing and VDL area.