Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
nater

Lab puppy barking

nater

I just wanted to throw this out there and see what people would suggest. My puppy is now 3.5 months old and is doing good at sitting, fetching, and etc... He seems to bark when he wants attention, food, water, and to play which is understandable. There are many other times where he will bark at us for unknown reasons. Also he barks in his crate if put in there when he is not tired and also when traveling in his crate. Any suggestions? Is this normal for a lab puppy?

winniewalleye777

I would assume this is normal for a lab puppy, or at least it was for my chocolate. I had her in a kennel outside, and when she was not tired she would bark until I came out. I would act real mad and two finger slap her on the nose while using the command "no barking." It took about 2 nights for her to find out that when she barked she would get slapped, so she would bark and then hide in the back of her house. After a few weeks of this, she decided that barking didn't get her anywhere so she quit. I believe that if you are strict enough the problem will be taken care of fairly quickly. good luck! Also, what do others think about the bark collars?

Powerstroke

The only thing I disagree with in that response is the slapping...especially the nose since you plan on relying on that nose in the future. Other than that, you use a command like "puppy name" No Bark. And ignoer the puppy until the barking is done.

That worked for my dog, It curbs the bad behavior because they realize the negative behavior doesn't result in you playing with them.

Ufatz

Everybody is on the right track. But don't hit or slap your dog in the face! This lesson will take a while, but do as suggested-when he barks you have to get to him quickly and command him to stop. You can say No Bark, or Stop or whatever command you want to use. But stop THIS habit NOW!! The no bark collars DO work. If you must smack him one do it on his tough old hind end with the palm of your hand. It is TOTALLY normal for a young pup to want to bark just for the hell of it or to get attention. Stay cool. It's all gonna be okay. tongue.gif

Cootz

I used a spray bottle of water. Wasn't really a big problem to start with but I didn't want it to become one either. Took just a couple times.

eskomo

pinchits ear while saying no bark. Labs ears are a sensitive part of there body. Also get on the floor and play with the puppy, when playing occasionally roll the dog over on its back and put your faqce on its neck like you are going to bite. sounds funny but it is a natural form of dominance over the dog. If you form this bond you will have a better time training. remember to the dog is having fun, avoid hitting, and try to avoid bark collars, wreak a dog with one of those when used with a training collar.

nater

Well I am trying the water method and it definitely gets his attention and works good. Once he gets it once he will try and back away out of reach, its funny to watch. I think the biggest thing is for me to get used why he might be barking and if it is something I need to do for him I can usually cure it that way. I just have to think like a dog. Yeah I couldn't get myself to use a bark collar on him. I am taking him to obedience classes and is fun to see him learning! Thanks for your suggestions.

Nater

JDM

Bark collars are very effective, even on a pup. You cannot just leave it on them permantly though, as they can cause sores around the neck. They give the dog instant feedback for negative behaivor. Most of them start with a low intensity correction and then progressively get stronger. They also time out and shut off if the dog doesn't get it and barks through the pain. In the right situation, it can cure your problem. The rest of the suggestions are all worth noting. The biggest thing is that you have to be very consistent in enforcing the no bark policy, or the solution will be all that much harder to accomplish.

CFD200

My lab pup is almost 4 months old. She deceided recently that she would like to get up at 5am rather than 6 when I would wake her up. The first morning I let her out to go to the bathroom and put her back in. The second morning when she woke me up at 5am I put the Gentle Leader on her and left her in the crate until 6am. Now she does not bark. She looks ticked off and depressed when we put it on her, but it does not hurt, and in her case works great.