Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nater

Lab puppy barking

9 posts in this topic

I just wanted to throw this out there and see what people would suggest. My puppy is now 3.5 months old and is doing good at sitting, fetching, and etc... He seems to bark when he wants attention, food, water, and to play which is understandable. There are many other times where he will bark at us for unknown reasons. Also he barks in his crate if put in there when he is not tired and also when traveling in his crate. Any suggestions? Is this normal for a lab puppy?

I would assume this is normal for a lab puppy, or at least it was for my chocolate. I had her in a kennel outside, and when she was not tired she would bark until I came out. I would act real mad and two finger slap her on the nose while using the command "no barking." It took about 2 nights for her to find out that when she barked she would get slapped, so she would bark and then hide in the back of her house. After a few weeks of this, she decided that barking didn't get her anywhere so she quit. I believe that if you are strict enough the problem will be taken care of fairly quickly. good luck! Also, what do others think about the bark collars?

The only thing I disagree with in that response is the slapping...especially the nose since you plan on relying on that nose in the future. Other than that, you use a command like "puppy name" No Bark. And ignoer the puppy until the barking is done.

That worked for my dog, It curbs the bad behavior because they realize the negative behavior doesn't result in you playing with them.

Everybody is on the right track. But don't hit or slap your dog in the face! This lesson will take a while, but do as suggested-when he barks you have to get to him quickly and command him to stop. You can say No Bark, or Stop or whatever command you want to use. But stop THIS habit NOW!! The no bark collars DO work. If you must smack him one do it on his tough old hind end with the palm of your hand. It is TOTALLY normal for a young pup to want to bark just for the hell of it or to get attention. Stay cool. It's all gonna be okay. tongue.gif

I used a spray bottle of water. Wasn't really a big problem to start with but I didn't want it to become one either. Took just a couple times.

pinchits ear while saying no bark. Labs ears are a sensitive part of there body. Also get on the floor and play with the puppy, when playing occasionally roll the dog over on its back and put your faqce on its neck like you are going to bite. sounds funny but it is a natural form of dominance over the dog. If you form this bond you will have a better time training. remember to the dog is having fun, avoid hitting, and try to avoid bark collars, wreak a dog with one of those when used with a training collar.

Well I am trying the water method and it definitely gets his attention and works good. Once he gets it once he will try and back away out of reach, its funny to watch. I think the biggest thing is for me to get used why he might be barking and if it is something I need to do for him I can usually cure it that way. I just have to think like a dog. Yeah I couldn't get myself to use a bark collar on him. I am taking him to obedience classes and is fun to see him learning! Thanks for your suggestions.

Nater

Bark collars are very effective, even on a pup. You cannot just leave it on them permantly though, as they can cause sores around the neck. They give the dog instant feedback for negative behaivor. Most of them start with a low intensity correction and then progressively get stronger. They also time out and shut off if the dog doesn't get it and barks through the pain. In the right situation, it can cure your problem. The rest of the suggestions are all worth noting. The biggest thing is that you have to be very consistent in enforcing the no bark policy, or the solution will be all that much harder to accomplish.

My lab pup is almost 4 months old. She deceided recently that she would like to get up at 5am rather than 6 when I would wake her up. The first morning I let her out to go to the bathroom and put her back in. The second morning when she woke me up at 5am I put the Gentle Leader on her and left her in the crate until 6am. Now she does not bark. She looks ticked off and depressed when we put it on her, but it does not hurt, and in her case works great.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Wheres_Walter
      We struggled on walleye on Frazer bay this saturday, so sunday morning I started throwing senkos.  Not quite consecutive casts like Wanderer, but i went all morning catching nothing, then caught these two cousins with 3 min of each other, smallie off the point, then the big mouth around the corner in a shallow bay.  18" smallie, 17" LMB. Good fun.    We did get about a dozen walleye on sunday night after the storms chased 15 boats away from the point we were fishing.  Mostly small, but a couple keepers.  Chartruese Jig and rainbows in about 10-12 FOW.  Couldn't buy a bite with a chub.  
    • monstermoose78
      I have good Jeremy how have you been doing. I need to get out fishing with you soon.
    • Walleye #1
      Stick in the Mud   I do think sometimes that those fish see so many jigs and shiners that something such as a crawler or leech is a great change up and will get bites.  Also with the bug hatches that are happening, those are two great baits.       Leech Lake   Leech Lake Walleyes once again found themselves spread out and in different areas and related to different pieces of Leech Lake structure.  Shiners and Leeches seemed to be the bait of choice for those Leech Lake Walleyes, but plastics are still catching some fish.  Be sure to stop in at Full Stringer Bait and Tackle, Swansons Bait and Tackle, Tutts Bait and Tackle, or Sportland Bait and Tackle for all your bait and tackle needs.     West End The LOA Fishing Guides found much of their success on the West End of Leech Lake.  Focusing in on the flats around West Goose in depths of 7-10ft of water, as well as the wind blown points such as Duck, Big Hardwoods, Ottertail, Pine, and Bowmans.  Sucker Bay also proved to have a good wind driven bite throughout the weekend.   A Jig and Minnow was the best presentation by far, but in most instances instead of jigging it, dragging or swimming it along the bottom seemed to work best, but when the front came in on Sunday the Leech Lake Walleyes were snapping and aggressively jigging was provoking the bite.  When things slowed down, slowing down with a lindy rig and leech put fish in the boat as well.  Green cabbage once again was a key to finding active walleyes and jumbo perch in 5-8ft of water.  Pitching an 1/8th oz KenKatch jig with a shiner caught Leech Lake Jumbos, Walleyes, and pike.  Slip bobbers and leeches/shiners also have put fish in the boat being either fished in the weeds or windblown points.   East End/Main Lake On the Main Lake, the rocks still were producing a great bite as well as some of the East End points such as Battle, Sugar, and Five Mile when the strong Westerly winds were blowing.  Annex, Submarine, Pelican, and North Bar were all producing fish in 10-14ft of water. Lindy Rigs with leeches or shiners seemed to work best, but the biggest fish still seem to want a 1/8th or 1/4oz jig and shiner.  
      Leech Lake Crappie and Bluegill fishing still remains strong.  When the weather warms up for a couple days both species are moving onto their beds and are actively feeding.  Looking to Boy Bay, Millers Bay, Shingobee, and Steamboat for the best action in 3-6 feet of water.  Just remember to use selective harvest as these fish are more vulnerable.  
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Hit Waconia Saturday morning for bass. Caught about 40 largemouth--most from 14 to 17 inches, with a few 17 and 18 inchers--and several nice pike. Fish were in cabbage out from bedding areas, in about 6 to 9 feet of water. Fish were scattered, lying in the weeds looking up for sunfish that are staging in these areas preparing to move in and bed. With this situation, we buzzed spinnerbaits and weedless spoons over and through the tops of the weeds, and the bass aggressively came up on them, as well as some pike. Had one lazy muskie follow as well. Got good footage for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Added footage of a couple smallies from out in the Hutch area Saturday evening. The bass fishing will continue to get better as the water warms, with more big ones, and the sunfish bedding bite is probably only a week or less away. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.    
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Out on Washington Saturday afternoon and evening after hitting Waconia for bass Saturday morning. Caught largemouth, smallmouth, and pike. Added footage of a couple smallies to the largemouth and pike footage from Waconia for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Caught the bass and pike on Washington in four to seven feet of water, out from bedding areas, on spinnerbaits, Rippin' Raps, and Shadow Raps. Up on Mille Lacs this coming weekend for a walleye tournament, then will be back out in the Hutch area the next weekend guiding. We were targeting bass this weekend, but got a tip that walleyes are biting on a couple Hutch area lakes on live bait. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Geez Terry! Now you will be telling me that walleyes are only good muskie bait! Cliff
    • JeremyCampbell
      Nice report Cret Musta been a thrill getting that 9.75 Gill.  
    • JeremyCampbell
      Wow dude lol Sup Moose how you been?
    • guideman
      Vermilion has excellent fishing for both bass species   The east end has the best Smallmouth action and the west end has the best Largemouth action, however you can catch either on both sides of the lake.  For Smallmouth, rocks, docks, points, saddles, reeds, wood and the shoreline rubble are all very productive. Most of the green bass are found in or near the slop and the west end has the best of what they like the most. Spinnerbaits, any color as long as it's white, stick baits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, swim baits and soft plastics all work for Smallies. Jigs, topwaters(Frogs) plastics and a host of other stuff will catch the green bass. Have a great time, the midweek traffic is very minimal.   "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"
    • guideman
      Bla bla bla, all this Walleye talk is boring me to death.   The real opening day is this Saturday when the Muskie opener comes to Minnesota and the Big V.  I'll be out fishing with my son and grandson searching for some real fish.   The weather looks great, my baits are all sharpened and the new line is on all my rigs. Bucktails, Glittertails, spinnerbaits and minnow style cranks will make up most of our arsenal, however we will also be tossing a few topwaters looking for those Big green girls and not even talking about Walleye fishing.   Have a great weekend everybody!   "Ace" "It's just fishing man"