• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

feathers vs. vanes

trophychaser

I use feathers. I have a buddy that uses vanes. He said he's got a bunch of arrows he needs refletched because his vanes are messed up!! I've never had any problems with feathers!!

What do you all prefer and why?

I prefer vanes because I shoot through a whisker biscuit. The biscuit does a number on my vanes as it is, but feathers would not stand a chance flying through there. I also prefer vanes because when the feathers get wet, they tend to get all matted down, where as the vanes will not. I fletch my own arrows so it is not a huge deal if I have to refletch an arrow or two at a time.

you are a little vague with this. but first, nothing last forever. it can depend on what rest he is shooting also. the WB with wrinkle vanes. they can just break down over time too.

i had heard that one couldn't shoot feathers thru a WB, but the other night i was up talking to some guys at league, and many of them have been shooting feathers with the WB, with no problems for quite a while now.i didn't see the rough edges that you get when shooting feathers off many other rest.

I used to shoot feathers until I got a whisker bisuit. I switched to vanes because Everytime I would shoot, bits and pieces of feathers went everywhere.

I do like feathers because they won't wrinkle over time, but like I said earlier, they get matted down when wet. I use them same arrows for hunting as I do for league (no the exact same arrows, but the same brand/fletching) and don't want to worry about my feathers getting wet when I am in the deer stand. If one were to shoot strictly in doors where no moisture can get to them, I would probably use feathers if you are not shooting through a whisker biscuit, but since I don't shoot strictly in doors and use a whisker biscuit, I choose vanes.

I shoot with a WB and I use feathers!! I've never had a problem!! I've shot some of my arrows 100+ times and they still shoot great!! Some of my feathers are slightly damaged, but they still shoot!! That's my biggest concern!! Feathers will shoot yet when slightly damaged. I've never shot vanes but my buddy said as soon as one of this vanes gets any type of damage he can't shoot it! He shoots a drop-away rest with vanes and I shoot feathers with a WB. He has problems and I don't!!

Weird???

I must have had some pretty crappy feathers, because I just talked to a buddy and he also has feathers with a WB and has no problem with them shredding, but feathers still suck when wet.

Switched to vanes about 25 years ago, I think they were pretty new back then. I had a dozen 2117 gamegetters arrows fletched with vanes and another dozen with feathers. The feathers were marginally more accurate at long ranges but not enough to worry about at normal hunting ranges. Definitely not enough to make up for the increased durability of the vanes. PS...Love my whisker biscuit !

I'm a little undecided with my WB. It makes a little more noise than say a drop away, but it's pretty reliable!!

I shoot a lot of 3D shoots that's why I'm thinking of switching to a drop away!!

Quote:

I use feathers. I have a buddy that uses vanes. He said he's got a bunch of arrows he needs refletched because his vanes are messed up!! I've never had any problems with feathers!!

What do you all prefer and why?

Not sure how this thread turned into a WB thread.. but if thats what people want to talk about its fine..

To answer the question... Feathers are usually a little more stable in the air. More resistance, which can also be a tad more noisy. Feathers are lighter so they are faster by a few FPS out of the bow. But once you reach 30 yards they are equal and then feathers are a tad faster past that as the less resistance takes over. Feathers are more water proof.

Which is better?.. depends on which things you feel are most important. Ive shot both, year before I shot quick spin vanes.. this last year I went back to feathers.. why?.. No reason.. just did.. next year I may shoot vanes again?

I'm shooting feathers now and they shoot great for me!! I don't plan on changing anytime soon!! I talked to my buddy and it sounds like he want to switch to feathers. I just want to make sure I didn't talk him into something he'll regret!!

It doesnt cost much at all to fletch an arrow, its very cheep if you have the tools to do it. I fletch all my own arrows.

As stated, the only disadvantage of feathers is this...Not as water proof, and maybe slightly more noisy in flight.

I am just getting in to bow hunting and I bought the quick spin vaned arrows from Cabela's. Cabela's just switched their arrow supplier from Carbon Express to Easton about 6 months ago and these seemed to be the real deal. I'm not sure I like them though, because the slightest thing wrong with the vanes or anything that may go wrong when you shoot sends the arrow flying off target. The spin magnifies the mistake.

I shoot at Mike’s archery in St. Cloud and they put on new 4” vanes for $3 an arrow. I like these vanes more because they are more consistent. I shoot a 2 prong rest that is spring loaded but not a drop away. Whisker Biscuits wear down the fletching more than I wanted so I am going to get a drop away someday.

I've been an avid feather shooter until this past summer. Old habits/traditions can be hard to break/change. I've come a long way from the cedar arrows my pop used to build in the basement. I fletched up a few of my arrows with Duravanes and shot them at the range a half dozen times or so and I didn't notice any real difference. I hunted with feathers this past fall, but I'm in the process of switching completely over to vanes.

I also have 2 boys(soon to be 3) that are pretty hard on fletchings and I've found vanes just hold up better.

If you consider vanes, consider a more rigid vane. I've gone thru a slew of vanes and one I've found to be worthy in terms of durability, consistency and sound is the PSE Pro-Fletch. Stand down range sometime and have someone shoot an arrow. What I mean is stand off to the side a safe distance and listen to them. Flimsy ones flap making a "fluttering" sound as they fly. A good rigid vane won't do that. It isn't a problem necessarily just for noise but it is in a mild breeze and certainly in a wind.

I'm also a fan of feathers. Yeah, they get dinged up easier. But I also like the traditional look of a barred feather and prefer how they fly in the wind/breeze.

Which ever you choose, get a good offset or a helical and both will stabilze quite well.

I've been shooting feathers through a WB for the last couple years and have been fine. That said, I'm switching to vanes this season! I love being in the woods, so that means I'm out there rain, snow, sleet or shine! I'm sick of the special care I have to give the feathers trying to keep them dry while trucking through the woods or while sitting in the rain! And I'm sick of worrying about wet feathers shooting straight when I have a deer standing beneath my stand. Now if I was shooting in doors, I'd shoot feathers hands down. Best of luck this Fall fellas (and gals).