Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
island guy

Tax time!!

11 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the proper thread for this but...

Anyone have any advice on choosing a TurboTax type thing for preparing my taxes versus a "real person" or service? Mine are not complicated but I do not want to attempt it on my own. I would rather pay to have it done than add stress to my life trying it on my own.

I went to the IRS site and found services that allow you to file your Fed return free and for a small fee you can file your State return. Its pretty much like doing it on paper except you don't need to add. Biggest advantage is I got my State refund back in, get this, 4 days. Federal refund was sent out within 10 days.

Quote:

I went to the IRS site and found services that allow you to file your Fed return free and for a small fee you can file your State return. Its pretty much like doing it on paper except you don't need to add. Biggest advantage is I got my State refund back in, get this, 4 days. Federal refund was sent out within 10 days.

This is what I do for my mother-in-law as well. Takes about 30 minutes.

I run my own business, si CPA does mine.

I use an online program. Do a search for taxslayer. That is the website, but if I put in the rest, it will get zapped. $9.99 efiles both state and federal. It got me 3500 back.

If you have a pretty basic return you are better off doing Turbo-tax online or a similar tax program. Fed is free and you pay for e-filing your state. 4 day turn around is not going to happen now. As filing is brisk but it will save you time over a paper return and having direct deposit will save a week.

For the free Fed return I believe there is a limit on what you income can be. Does that still hold true or has that changed?

I am looking for a place that can turn what I owe into a return. Where is this shop or form??????? frown.gif

Quote:

For the free Fed return I believe there is a limit on what you income can be. Does that still hold true or has that changed?

If you go to the IRS homepage you will get redirected to programs that will allow you to file Fed for free if under 52K Adjusted Gross. I see Turbo Tax is now charging for Fed and State on their home page.

Here you go, choose from the list. efile

I've used Turbo for over 10 years and I really like it.

It especially helps because I have expenses and collect several 1099-Misc for my freelance business.

I have mine done by a professional and I can tell you this. Its a 'write off' for what he charges for the next year and I am sure he gets alot more of the details done right. My first year I met him I had mine done by a professional, I was suppose to owe. I didnt think this was right so I took it in to him. The first guy missed so many little details, I actually got a small refund instead of paying in a significant amount. Money well spent in my opinion.