Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slip Sinker

Aqua Vu AV MAV

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard whether the new Aqua Vu MAV is worth the money? I know it automatically retrieves the camera, but I don't see how you would be able to turn the camera without leaning over the boat. I am considering buying one at the MPLS Sportshow, but if i get negative feedback i will consider not buying it.

The MAV is one of the coolest pieces of fishing electronics I've ever used. Have field tested prototypes for the past couple years, and have been very impressed by its functionality, and ease of use. Runs right off your boat's 12-volt system. The big screen is easy to see, even during the day. And the footpad makes camera depth manipulation very simple.

As to steering the camera-- for me it hasn't been an issue. Mount the MAV powerspool in the bow, and move along with your trolling motor. If you want to look left, simply move the motor to the left; to look backwards, simply reverse the motor direction, and the camera automatically rotates and looks in that direction, etc. Done this way, you can easily follow moving schools of walleyes, smallmouths, etc., for extended periods.

One of the coolest things about this unit is the immediate perception you gain of the terrain below. If you think sonar tells you everything you need to know, think again. I thought I knew what things looked like down there-- yeah right. It is an unbelievable tool that will boost your fishing confidence, because you have instantly gained that key "visualization" factor you hear pro anglers talk about all the time. If you can accurately visualize what's going on below, particularly in reference to your lure, you can become downright deadly with a rod and reel.

Often, too, you won't believe how often you'll see a fish on the MAV, then seconds later, hook that very fish. In my mind, it is worth every penny.

-a friend called Toad

Toad,

Have you used the unit on Big V?

The water is very stained and I thought the visablity would be very limited. What type of distances are we talking about? Interesting about seeing the contour.

Backwoods

I know my aqua vu works well in v.. i mean yes its stained but you also get a fair view from what you would expect.. those av mavs are sweet lookin tho..

i have a scout and it is limited on there but on clear water its sweet.i like to see the fish but being able to find the right bottom is key.

youll be shocked at how much garbage is on the bottom.

yeah i still like my lowrance the best

Quote:

youll be shocked at how much garbage is on the bottom.

I know where about a dozen 1/8 oz fireball jibs are

LOL

I bought a camera for this open water season 07 and i am pumped to use it!

Thanks Toad. I might buy one at the Minneapolis Sportsmans Show at the end of the month.