Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WalleyezforRob

What is wrong with this walleye?

14 posts in this topic

I caught this walleye last weekend. Froze it on the ice. Defrosted it in my refrigerator. And filleted it 48 hours after it was caught. There was definately something wrong with this fish. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

3532IMG_0607.JPG

8742IMG_0608.JPG

P.S. I didn't eat it tongue.gif

Heterosporis.

Here's all you need to know about it from the MN DNR website:

Heterosporis

I wouldn't eat it, either! crazy.gif

Good answer! Answers like that are what make this site great. You learn something new every day! Thanks.

Yuck, I wonder what's worse, those tumors or this? Poor fish confused.gif

How big was the walleye? Looks like some nice cheekmeat there.

Blacksportsman,

Thanx for the info. I learned something.

Fish On!!!

The DNR web site said to report it.

Thanks for the quick answer. I will report it. It was a 28.5" what a shame that it went to waste.

Happy to be of service! 28.5" is a very nice 'eye. Too bad it had to go to waste.

Another of many good reasons why fish this size are either made for the wall (if chosen) or released for someone else to enjoy the catch another time and not the frying pan.

sorry about this but....why would you think of eating a 28+? it is your right and i am not trying to say ya can't but...like SGT said Yet another reason not to eat a big girl like that!

Waiting for Open Warer!!!

Opie

I have to say I agree...I am not trying to look down on you for eating a 28.5 inch walleye because it is your legal right, but walleyes like that are not for eating.....the wall or the water! Sorry it went to waste, but you can look at it on the bright side, walleyes that old are not any good eating anyways. Once again, please don't take my opinion offensively. Good luck all.

GoggleEye

Just to play devils advocate here, wasn't it a good thing that he did keep it? If he would have put it back and if it would have died, it is possible that it would have infected more fish. I understand what you are saying about letting the big one go or take you trophy and put it on the wall, but there is another side to it as well...just my 2 cents....

Summit, your saying its like shooting a management buck. I would agree, but at the same time its like shooting a management buck in June (don't shoot deer in June, I am just making a point). You don't really know what you have until its dead. In this case it was just luck that this one was to be taken out of the population. However, I strongly agree with GoogleEye. Leave the big ones in the lake unless you are going to mount them. Just my opinion, and definately not looking down on anyone that wants/needs the food. It is better than seeing a monster floating across the lake.