Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muc33

LOW virgin help

7 posts in this topic

I am leaving for my first LOW trip ever Thursday. We are going to Ballards and I just wondered what area (reference names) I will be fishing in. I see you guys name areas or islands and just wondered what I will be by. Also since I am only used to fishing extreme SW MN lakes, what kind of tackle I might want to make a more successful go at a good fish up north. Any help you could give is much appreciated.

Spend some time checking out some of the topics here in

the forum. You will get all you can think of and more

with what is at your finger tips.

The very first thread is called "things to do on the big

pond". It is a primer for Lake of the Woods fishing and

will be a big help.

Welcome to the best lake in the world!

Ballards is located on Wheeler's Point. You will be heading across 4-mile bay, over Pine Island. I don't know where their houses are...if I had to guess probably out a ways by this time of the year. Not too much structure to speak of. Just pretty much a big bowl out there.

Keeping it brief, I personally like to use jigging spoons tipped with a shiner head, tail, etc., depending on how aggressive they are biting. Put a set line down with a plain or red hook too. Lots of people still say gold is the key up there, and it is certainly not a bad choice. I usually throw it all at them. My go to is the Northland Bubble Gum Buckshot spoon. Good luck, and don't forget to keep an eye open up high for those suspended fish that come through. You might get a pleasant surprise!!!

I stayed at Ballard's two weeks ago and we were near Starren Shoals (sp?). I think they also had some houses near Knights and Bridges. We were about 26 miles out. Had some success with gold on the jigging rod and glow red on the deadstick.

Thanks for the advice, so I guess from how it looks some snow is in the forcast. Is that good or bad for the fishing?????

Chad

It looks like the forcast for the weekend is gonna be ENE winds an cloudy with a chance of snow. Bummer!!! I myself have never had very good luck with that type of weather system, but it's supposed to be warmer so that is a good thing. ya just never know on LOW. I'll be out of long point in 20' of water did well this past weekend. Glow red gem-n- eye with a hammerd gold back. I like a red or yellow doddle bug under a bobber 2" off the bottom. I also prefer the glow red rattle varmit by JB lures they use a glass reattle chamber I like over a brass chamber. Change up often to see what works. Chubs an shinners for bait, but dont be afraid to pack on a gob of wax worms on a doddle bug, squish one or two for scent an let a few squirm around. Hammerd gold angle eye can be deadly. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Boar

Just talked to a guy who got back from a Ballard trip last weekend. They did Excellent off Garden.