Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daveyred

Riley

12 posts in this topic

Anyone have any thoughts on Riley Lake? I was told not to go to Red Rock so I am looking for something in the SW cities to do on Saturday. Have done alot of the lakes south of Prior lately.

I don't know why anyone would tell you to avoid red rock other than to keep it for themself. Its no longer a trophy lake except maybe for some big pike. I catch lots of sunnies and crappies but they are all small. Its fun for my kids.

I have never fished Riley even though I live around here. I've caught about 6 different kinds of fish right off the pier in the summer so I guess one could do well in the winter, I've just never tried. I haven't seen any info about Riley this year.

I'm also looking to hit Riley tomorrow for maybe the early morning crappie bite then some tip up action. I know a lot of cars have been driving across the lake but i was wondering if there is any places to avoid? Anybody got any fishing reports from there because it seems like it's getting fished pretty hard recently?

Riley is a good crappie and perch lake has some eyes,northerns to crappies are ok size. fish were everybody at. that the spot!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

Do the crappies on riley have any size to them, or are they all dinks?

One of my friends claimed to have caught a 16" crappie confused.gif out there a while back. I think they catch some nice ones out there, haven't experienced it first hand yet though.

the crappies are big enough to eat. grin.gif

Yeah, I've alway done well fishing for panifish on Riley.

Never could find any walleye though.

The only walleye i have caught out there was bass fishing in the shallows. Just came up and smoked the spinnerbait. About a 4lb didn't get the inches on it though.

Only walleye I ever caught on Riley was form the pier. I've never actually fished form anywhere else on that lake.

It's funny how often I hear of walleye being cought while fishing for bass.

Maybe I should change my technique to bass style. smirk.gif

I brought the rods along for the kids so we could cast off the dock. I caught sunnies, crappies, bass, a northern and a walleye, all from the pier. I think the fish just really relate to the weeds in this lake.