• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Picking pup

huntnfish

A friend of mine studded out his lab to a friend of his and now he has the pick of the litter which he is giving to me. My friends dog is about 85 pounds at 2 years old and the female was about 55-60 pounds. I am planning on a female and would like it to get to be about the same size as its mother. My question is, how would I figure out which are going to get big and which will be in the size that I am looking for(65-75 pounds)? This is my first dog and I will be using it for pheasants and some grouse. I might also take him out for waterfowl a couple times a year but I hunt fields so having a dog isn't that big a deal. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you can figure it out please let me know. I have had the biggest puppies turn out to be skinny speed freaks and smaller pups turn out to be muscled out bruisers. I think you pick out a good breeding and cross your fingers.

Yep... there's is no hard and fast guarantees around that will determine the outcome of any pup... Just take a good, healthy, inquisitive pup and all else should work out in the end...

Good Luck!

Ken

Having had many dogs over the years if you are getting the pick of the litter I would recommend selecting the female that selects you. Having said that I should explain it some. Every once and a while you get very lucky and get a pup that picks you to be his or her master. If this happens to you then you are a lucky man. These are the kind of dogs that your very wish is there command and they cannot do enough to make you happy. This being your first dog it would be great if you will be so lucky as to get one. They will spoil you forever. I hope your friend is not going to pick a female out for you and then just give her to you. You should go to the pups and just sit down by them. They all may come to you or just a few, let them discover you. If you are lucky you may get a few interested in you and maybe a female will be one of them. I would keep in mind that this is going to be your new kid for the next 10 years or so. Better to have one that like you then one you will be yelling at.. I am sure others will chime in but I have been lucky to have been picked several times, I have two at my feet right now! good luck..