Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

Reel Weeds

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone used this before? I just started reading about them and they look like an interesting item. Just want to see if anyone has used them before and if they work.

I've used them on several occassions. Sometimes they work great. Other time they don't seem to make a difference. The do really seem to pull the sunfish and hold them though.

I've never heard of them. How do they work? Are they just weeds you put down to attract fish?

Yea pretty much, to gives smaller fish place to hide, kinda like real weeds. Seem like it would be an interesting investment.

I bought some and the really seem to attract and hold the fish in the area that they are set up. At Mille Lacs, my brother an I had them set up around the Yukons like this.

pattern.jpg

I have the set of 5 reel weeds and have used them a couple of times this year. I was out with 2 of my cousins and we were in seperate houses about 10ft apart. My cousin and I that were in my house with the weeds caught panfish and lost what I think was a walleye the way the bobber went down. My cousin in the other house 10ft away did not catch a fish. So on that day I think they worked quite well. Not to mention, the fish really hung around our holes with the weeds.

Bus

I think they would be something to invest in. Does anyone know anyone who leaves them out year round? Will that damage them?

They work. I run a panfishing league in Rochester and the winners of 2 of our 4 events have been using ReelWeeds.

Home made real weeds cost about $12-15 for 4 plants 3 feet tall each used vine plants from joan fabrics there 50% off now and plant wire all products you can easily pick up. Cheap but worth a try. wink.gif

How well do they work and last is my question? I think it would be worth a shot to make for sure but how well they work and last is my only concern.

I too was interested in this item. I broke down and purchased a 5 pack two weeks ago. I've used them 5 times since and have caught fish each time. But I caught fish before I used them. I do think that the sos (structure on string) was helpfull in keeping fish in an area. Getting them to bite though is a different story. My vex was lite up the whole time... The SOS by Ledredge seems very well built and sturdy. also not harmfull to environment like some homemade attempts. The sos plants are four feet tall and have a smart foam float that will not freeze into iced over hole.

If you have SOS, be sure to keep the float in the center of the hole so the string don't freeze to the side of the hole. I had this happen and went to pull it out and the string broke. I was able to still pull it out, but now I have to splice the 2 ends together on that SOS. Just a bit of advice to whoever owns them.

Bus