Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sachem longrifle

I'm getting a bit concerned....

3 posts in this topic

about the grouse population. I know they are tough birds but with this cold and little snow, I have been seeing alot more feeding in the trees and on more days. Anybody think this will repress the possible upswing in the cycle that may have started this past fall?

I dont think it will. I think spring weather will be the factor.

Grouse feeding in trees is what they do. I've got a good mix of Aspen, Birch, Oak, Maple and Balsam. Its the buds of the Birch the grouse are after, very rarely will I see a grouse taking aspen buds, thats contrary to what biologists tell you.

At any rate my lot and the adjoining lots are prime habitat for grouse. Even on low years I'll have them around. Its nice to watch them in the winter and being accustomed to people they get pretty tame. I do have one large Pear tree and a grouse been picking buds off that every day, the choke(pin or what ever) cheery trees have been getting hit hard too.

What my concern is and I've seen it happen over the years with lack off snow and cold temps = dead birds. Hopefully they're out of the woods with the warming temps on the way.