• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a good place to start

calli4120

Hey Guys,

My younger brother and I are planning on trying Mille Lacs this weekend and are looking for a decent starting place. We are both pertty new to ice fishing and have had a very poor expereine this year but we are learning alot.

For an inexperienced fisherman, where is the best place to get on the Lake where we won't have to travel miles on the ice to get on fish? (we will be traveling north on 169)

Are we better off using the public accesses or going out from one of the resorts?

Should we find a small ice city and set up or try and stay away from the crouds?

What should I add to my pretty empty takle box before we go up?

We're equiped with a Fish Trap Guide, Vexilar, and a hand aguer.

We very rarely keep fish and are just looking for a good time in the great Minnesota outdoors.

Any suggetions will be greatly appreciated.

Adam

A good place to start would be one of the resorts. They are always very helpful. I always go out of the west side of the lake, like garrison sports or twin pines. Very nice people and will point you in the right direction.

well my friend me and my buddys are also going up to mille lacs tonight!!!! we went a week ago for the first time and did pretty well we got a 24,26,27in and keepers in between. we fish the south and east side out of hunters and kj's are the resorts we used but we just went off of the gps look for 26-32 fow and fished. that was the coldest weekend all year so we weren't very mobile this weekend should be way better though so feel free to move around if ur not catching fish! good luck and how knows maybe ill see u up there!!!! XxX smile.gif

I have a place on the lake so I don't ussually go out of a resort but from what friends have told me Lybacks is a good choice. They are always willing to provide info and are very friendly.

Thanks for all of the info guys as being new to the lake every bit helps.

I've searched around the forum looking for more info but unless its been posted within a day or 2 it seems outdated with all of the changing conditions.

Thanks again and I look forward to any other input you guys might have.

The best piece of advice that i think you should have would be to make the investment and get a power auger! That way you dont have to hand drill through 2 feet of ice and you can be a lot more mobile!

If you cannot afford a power auger I believe there are places up there that rent them out for the day. I was up on Tues and Wed and could just get through without an extension on my jiffy. Thats a lot of ice to hand drill through. I have been having success out on the mud flats. I have gone out of hunters and terrys. George over at hunters is definately more friendly and helpful. Good luck. Had best luck on 1/8 oz silver buckshot. Keep moving till you find fish.

I agree that a power auger is esential. If you don't want to spend that much there are several places that rent them. I believe Lundeens at the junction of 169 and 27 (just as you get to the lake) has rental augers, vexilars and cameras. There are other places as well. Call around and reserve one. It would realy help you be more mobile and find the fish without sore arms.

I would also suggest going out of one of the resorts. They can give you some info on the bite and a plowed road. If you rent an auger ask them for some tips on whats working as well.

I strongly agree about the power auger, it will save you alot of time and you won't be as tired either. Perch are hitting during the day and spotty. So if you have move and drill some holes a power auger may come in handy. I know you wanna enjoy the Minnesota Outdoors and it is wonderful, but catching fish is part of that. Good Luck!

The walleyes turn on for about a half hour at dawn and dusk. Be on structure. Have your lines in and be quiet, especially if you are shallow, a half hour before these two prime periods, til an hour after.

This phenomenon is unbelieveable sometimes. You may want to have spare rods rigged and ready because the action can be fast and short lived, and you may not want to waste time untangling or re-tieing. You have to see this to believe it.

Finding your way on or off the lake in the dark can be a problem. 1st trip of the year I like to skip the dawn bite, get familiar with conditions and roads during the day.

A Holiday jiggle stick with a plane hook and a fathead is as hot as anything. Fish 1' off the bottom, unless the vex tells you fish are suspended. A small swedish pipple with a minnow combined with the vexilar can be a powerful combo, but this year jigging has been spooking fish away. Still, you might want to try it.

The rest of the day is a crap shoot. Some people target perch during the off prime hours, hit the gravel bars in different areas of the lake. If you pay for access you can usually get some info. If you're not catching anything move.

I know the flats have been putting out walleyes mid day lately, just not a lot them.

If you don't have a gps, crowds could be a way to locate structure.

Wow, thats alot of really good info.

I'll have to check into borrowing a power auger or possibly renting one.

I'm waiting for the off season to pick one up since I've already spent a lot of cash on the Fish Trap and Vexilar.

About how much are the auger rentals?

bluebill,

Just looking at your e-mail and your location, I was wondering if you were a class of 85.

Do you mind e-mailing a fellow classmate some info on what type of bait/jigs/depths you were fishing with. I'm heading up this morning for the weekend. You can e-mail me at brian.hansen "at" fsi-intl.com