Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ameyers41

Disposal of 1lbs propane tanks

14 posts in this topic

What do all of you do to dispose of the 1 lbs propane tanks? I'm starting to get a collection of empties on my shelf and want to know what the most environmentally responsible way of disposing them is. Or, do they simply go in the trash?

Thx,

Tony

Disposing of non reusable tanks varies greatly county to county. If you google "propane tank disposal Minnesota" you will see that some counties and municipalities post lists of gas companies, or recyclers that will puncture and recycle them.

lb

Buy a 20lb to 1 lb adapter and refill them.

Quote:

Buy a 20lb to 1 lb adapter and refill them.

Which of course is technically illegal... Disposable tanks are not legal to refill...

Good Luck!

Ken

Next time your city or county has hazardous waste disposal dump em. Ive Got a adaptor to refill them.Harbor tool freight.

They dont seal up all that well even when new, so I definitely wouldnt recommend refilling them. Sure a lot of ppl refill them, but for the small cost of new bottle why take the chance...

they are legal to refill just not legal to transport once refilled.

My dad has good luck with refilling them. Just make sure the 20 lber is warm and the 1 lbers are cold.

those adapters should be illegal! how can you weigh

a 1 lb tank so you dont overfill it past 80%

you fill that tank to full and a warm day = explosion..

randy

rv tech

certified in lp

Like this:

Weight a new 1 lb tank full with a good scale.

Fill it back up to same weight after empty.

I've done this many, many times and never had any trouble, and sure have saved lots of money.

People, we are here to help with may issues but we have to follow legality of what's posted. If a person gets injured and when asked he says "I saw it on the internet" will any of you step forward and take responsability ?

So please, don't suggest anything that is not legal or can injury somebody, just because it hasn't happened to you, it doesn't mean it will not.

Thank you.

To answer your question, call your landfill or your garbage company, they will tell you.

i was at a propane safety class a few years ago

and seen pics of peoples hands after trying to fill

1 lbers that exploded from over filling. but if you

want to save money... hey go for it.

not trying to be a smart a$$, just offering advice

on how dangerous this could be.

randy aka bbqhead

Well I certainly didn't realize the danger involved in filling them. I will definitely be mentioning that to my dad...good news is I think he's finally gonna get a sunflower heater and get rid of that Buddy heater that doesn't work when it's COLD.

Valv If they sell them he could ask the retailor,Questions and they do come with instructions.