Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcaputo

MPR News: Have you heard the "sounds" of a frozen lake?

7 posts in this topic

In winter, the land if 10,000 lakes becomes the land of 10,000 frozen ice sheets, many of them popping, pinging and cracking.

Those who live near lakes report hearing moaning , or even crying like a child as the ice expands and contracts.

Do you live near a lake? Has the ice ever "spoken" to you?

If so, share your tale with Minnesota Public Radio reporter Tim Post by clicking the link below and giving us your story.

https://www.publicradio.org/applications/formbuilder/user/form_display.php?form_code=de6cc17a2f21

Tim first became interested in the story during lunch a few weeks ago.

"I heard strange sounds coming from a frozen lake here at Collegeville," he says. "Those icy creaks and groans are nothing new to people who spend a lot of time on or near a lake in the winter. But I thought stories of what people have heard on the ice would make for a great Minnesota Public Radio story."

Tim is busy collecting sounds of the ice now. He'd love your help. And, if you know someone with an "ice sound" story to tell, pass this message along to them.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Caputo

Analyst, Public Insight Journalism

MPR News

(651) 290-1081

mcaputo@mpr.org

Michael - Let me be one of the first to say "WELCOME" to our site! I think the story that will be produced from your findings should be interesting. Please let us know what the final product looks like.

As for strange sounds on the ice, please take a look at the Upper Red Lake forum. There is a post out there about a sound, equivalent to a train coming down the tracks, and then making all sorts of noise and shaking everything. I never witnessed this, but read the stories on that forum.

Again welcome to the site!

There is also a similar thread in the Alexandria forum titled "Minnewaska ice quake" where it talks about a boom so loud that it was felt in nearby homes.

Many years ago, back when I was still in high school we had a house on Millie. We stayed over one night and in the morning we heard a sound like a jet coming down the lake doing a fly by which was not uncommon in those days from either Grand Forks or Duluth air bases. Anyway I went outside the house and about 100-150 yds away the ice broke up into a large ice ridge and pushed up 5-6 ft. The water must have gone 15 ft in the air as the ice pushed together. That was a sight to see, needless to say a spare pair of shorts would have been nice. Thank god it didn't go through any houses. Bill

You bet we will. I think that this is a really interesting idea for a story by Tim Post. We've already gotten a few responses from folks directly to that link. Thank you for opening your forum to help us tell this story.

Mike Caputo

Dear Mr. Turck:

I would love to share this story with reporter Tim Post - and he may very well like to call you as he is doing his reporting. Is there a contact phone and/or email that I can reach you at. If you prefer - give me an email at mcaputo@mpr.org.

Thanks again

Michael Caputo

You can email me at my office a026457@allstate.com I will be out of the office Wed at 1100am until Monday morning 2/25. Headed to Lake of the Woods. Happy to talk with you. Bill Turck