• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat loading crooked on roller trailer help?

Tim Ellis

Question

I have a 2006 ez loader 2800# roller boat trailer and when i load my boat it tends to load slightly to one side. I am contemplating getting the trailer guide ons but not sure. Any suggestions on possible adjustments to the trailer rollers? It is not too bad but it happens when i power load or crank it up. If anyone has had a similiar issue and found a solution please advise.

30 answers to this question

Having the trailer too deep / too far into the water is the most common reason for a boat to load crooked.

If that's not it, I would try adjusting the position of the rollers before I went with guide-ons, since it sounds like you want the guide-ons to "force" the boat into being on there straight. Raise the rollers to push the boat back where you want it, or lower them to get the boat to slide over in that direction.

Good luck, boat trailers can be one of the most frustrating dang things to work on .....

Make sure that the rollers need adjusting first. The next time you launch at your favorite lake make sure that the launch is level (side to side) so that the same amount of trailer is above the waterline to port and starboard. If your trailer is in the water uneven then the boat will want to load crooked. On one of my favorite lakes I have to put my trailer in crooked in order to even out the slope in the ramp. Another thing that can effect you is the weight distribution in your boat. Assuming a level ramp my boat will load straight if I have the front livewell full and drain the rear livewell. If after checking everything you still have your boat loading crooked then check the rollers.

The number one thing on a roller trailer is to have it level. I have a very hard time with my roller trailer if it isn't level. Another thing is not to back in too far. Usually back in just to the back rollers touch the water.

I agree with KS. I had the same issues with mine until I did as suggested, just back the trailer in till the rolles are covered with water. This corrected the issue for me. Also, I do not power load. I pull the boat on the trailer about 3/4 the way up and crank it up the rest of the way. Been working fine for me now. Good Luck.

I was considering those grooved center rollers that guide the keel to the center position every time, seen em at cabelas, havent done it yet cause its not bothering me as much anymore grin.gif

Make sure that the rollers are centered. Find the center of the trailer and measure the same distance to each roller.

I too have a 2800# roller e-z loader and have the same problem that you do. I try to have the rear rollers just a hair under the water .I've tried adjusting the rollers but to no avail. I installed 6 ft. carpeted guides and the boat rests on the guide to the point that I'm worried about rubbing the paint off. I called E-Z loader and followed their instructions and it didn't make a difference. I sometimes think I have a crooked boat but it rides in the water so well that I discounted that theory. I'm really frustrated and am just about at the point that I think I will have to live with it forever.

I agree with the fact that the trailer needs to be level. If you are at a ramp that is not level you can back the trailer in “crooked” so that one tire is farther in than the other on the ramp. Which way you swing the back of the trailer depends on which side of the ramp is lower.

I also notice that where your weight is in the boat can make a difference even if the trailer is level. This is more pronounced on smaller boats but if all your body weight is on the right side of the boat when loading, the keel will be off center in relation to the trailer even if the point of the bow appears to be lined up correctly. Just picture standing behind the boat during the loading process and you can see how this might affect loading. I’ve got a fishing buddy that is a pretty big guy and he could never get his 1650 Fish Hawk loaded straight. Standing up and shifting your weight as close to center can help.

Never thought of that GJ. I will have to try that. Part of the prob is being new to boating and just having to figure it out.

I have started doing the same process and since pulling it on and cranking it goes on straight, might take a couple minutes longer, but it's worth it...IMO

I too have the problem of the boat loading on crooked on the trailer. Very frustrating! My previous rig had a bunk trailer and loaded straight every time. I'm not sure if bunk trailers are a viable option for welded aluminum boats, but I'm going to look into it.

One hint I was given for power loading......if you or your buddy notice the boat is loaded on crooked, use the big motor to push the back end over. Never tried this before, but it makes some sense I guess.

One common statement that seems to appear here is that those having the most trouble are also those that previously owned bunk trailers. I've never owned a bunk trailer but I also have never had trouble getting my boat on straight.

First, as mentioned a couple times already, it is critical that you DO NOT submerge the rollers too deeply. The front of the boat keel must contact the rear bottom center roller before contacting any other rollers. If it contacts the others first, they will guide it incorrectly. Following this rule has allowed me to load my boat straight regardless of how level my trailer is because those bottom center rollers guide the keel and the others just support the weight.

Second, power loading with a roller might add to the complexity. Doesn't mean it can't be done as I have seen many do it but in my experience I can load just about as fast by hand because the rollers allow me to pull it by hand about 2/3 of the distance before using the winch.

The only time I can run into some trouble is when it's too windy and it is difficult to handle alone.

Bob

I think one of the problems with the EZ Loaders is that the 2800# doesn't have a keel roller. Wonder if one can be retrofitted?

Before my boat with bunk trailer I used my dad's boat for years and years. His is a roller trailer and always loads just fine. Bunk trailers are the cat's meow when it comes to loading....it's hard not to load on straight with a bunk, even with the wind. Henceforth, my reason for looking into getting bunks instead of having rollers this coming year.

Very interesting. I never realized the EZ loader roller doesn't have a keel roller and this is probably the issue. I have always had roller trailer but this is the first to constantly load crooked regardless of cranking or power loading. I would have gotten a bunk trailer but the way the landings at Mille Lacs were this year many guys without roller trailers could not launch at many landings due to low water levels. I'll take a little crooked loading versus not being able to launch the boat due to low water.

Where on the trailer would this keel roller have to be installed in order to operate properly? Any advice?

Quote:

Make sure that the rollers are centered. Find the center of the trailer and measure the same distance to each roller.

The easiest way to to do this is to measure to the from the edge of the roller bracket to the side trailer frame.

If you rollers aren't centered with respect to your trailer you've got no nope of getting it loaded straight.

marine_man

I had a EZ loader trailer with the Keel Rollers on it and that thing would load straight about 5% of the time.

It never mattered where I sat, I had a 185TP Alumacraft too. If the landing was crooked or slabs were washed out I didnt even bother to try and get it straight.

I did everything to try to get on straight everytime. No matter what I did it would never do it. I contacted my dealer about it and they worked with me. I experimented with many different spots for the rollers but it never mattered.

I now have a new boat and a bunk trailer. Its impossible to load the boat crooked on this trailer. Its nice and I love it! But that EZ loader was a nightmare for me!

I have been in the Marine business for 25 years with trailer sales and lots of ramp experience. Most loading problems are a result of having the trailer to deep in the water. If that still doesn't work, check the side to side weight distribution. My ramp is not level and simplly keeping the trailer shallow will take care of the unlevel ramp. The EZ Loader brand trailer is not the only manufacturer that doesn't use a keel roller at the rear of the trailer. Most don't but I'm sure that there are a few that do. Side load guides will help you load with a cross wind but probably will not make the boat load straight. And as others have said, a bunk trailer will load straight or close to it most of the time. Either way, a little crooked doesn't make that much difference. As long as all rollers are in contact with the hull.

I am on my third Easy Loader trailer. They always loaded perfect until this last trailer. I bought this 2800lb. trailer two years ago and it always loads 2inches to the left. Dealer was unable to correct problem. I have moved rollers all over and has not helped. A lot of experts that said they could correct it gave up. Is your trailer by chance a 2800lb trailer made in 2004?

Shore landers are the same way.The side guides will not help much to get it on straight,just adds to peeling off the paint and scratching.If the ramp isnt to level it does not seem to mater what you do.The bunk trailers are very nice but you will have trouble on ramps with out deep enough water.If some one has an idea that realy works i would like to see it.Burl.

I'd like to echo the comment about how bunk trailers can make it darn near impossible to launch at shallow water accesses. I upgraded into a used 1650 Explorer last fall, the boat package had a beautiful color-matched custom Eagle bunk trailer. Prior to closing the deal the dealer was kind enough to let me take 'er for an overnight to check it out. I had concerns about loading/unloading with the bunks.

Sure enough - one of my favorite lakes required me to back in so far that I was in knee-deep water before I could muscle the boat off.

After a little negotiation, I ended up with a Yacht Club roller trailer. Very, very happy with the decision.

That Eagle sure was a purdy looking boat-hauler though.

Cool, here I thought it was just cause I was green getting my first boat last year. I always sit to the side of the wheel and after reading this I think that has a lot to do with it. I'll have to try to lean to the middle and see how that works. I have heard that not having the trailer very far in the water is the key as well.

When I have the boat on crooked, I just back it in the water with the tie down straps removed and only the bow eye attached to the trailer.I go deep enough until it floats. I watch for it to straighten up and then pull it out. It may take a time or two to get it where you want but it works well for me.