• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sgotgun/ Scope?

riverrat56

I have a Mossberg 835 shotgun that I would like to use for turkey hunting and deer hunting, I need to purchase a slug barrel, but also would like to put a scope on for turkey and deer hunting?

This gun is my only option for waterfowling as well so would I be better off too buy a canteliver rifled barrel and just do with out the scope for turkeys?

My thoughts were to buy one of those mounts that go onto the reciever/action and then resight it in for deer & turkey and take it off for wingshooting would this be praticle? Only can afford 1 barrel & 1 scope if it would work any recommedations?

If you can get along without the scope for turkeys, a cantilevered setup is fantastic for deer. i havent adjusted mine in 11 years (since it was new). Be very careful on the scope you buy as a shotgun has a sharp recoil and will wreck even an average scope after not very much use. Hastings makes a great barrel, I dont know if they have one for the 835 or not. I would figure out the most you can possibly spend on a scope and then double it. Some manufacturers are making slug gun scopes, I would go with one of those. I tried a $100 Bushnell a long time ago and it lasted 1 year.

Sounds like that will be the way to go, kind of what I thought. I can deffinatly get by without a scope for turkeys, my 18 year old eyes haven't worn out yet.

If you take your barrel off of your shotgun and then put it back on do you have to re sight or do you just use a bore sight to check your zero?

If you only have one gun, go with the cantilever. I use a Leupold 2 x 7 shotgun scope that has handled the recoil for several years. I have had three cheaper scopes that didn't. I wouldn't use my slug barrel for turkey's though. Stick with your regular barrel, buy a choke tube for it, and you will be fine.

Another thing you want to consider when buying your slug barrel is what kind of slugs you plan to use. The newer 1900 fps sabots require a tighter twist barrel to perform better. I have not had very good luck with the Hastings barrels and new, fast sabots. The barrel does shoot the 1300 to 1400 fps slugs well. It is a 1 in 35 twist barrel. I am very interested in trying a barrel I found on Cabela's website that has a 1 in 24 twist and is made for the new generation sabots. I hope this helps. Good luck.

NEVER use a boresighter for sighting in your gun. They are no where near accurate enough. They are made to get you "on the paper". I take it off every year and have never had to re-adjust....although I always check it.

I have not had any problems shooting the 1900 fps Federal Barnes Xpanders out of my Hastings. The gun shoots 3" or less groups off a bench at 100 yards. It did not like the Winchester Supreme Golds though.

By site in I meant you could have made a reference once you had it shooting well and if you are on that reference point then your barrel is or should be in the same way it was before.

Bore sighters are really not accurate enough for that. I know what you mean, but don't trust'em. Trust yourself shooting off sand bags.

Let us know what you decide to go with and how it works. I especially like the advice on rate of twist, I would want to look into that some more.

CODYDAWG Did you see in the hunting magazine, where the guy used a bore sighter, and forgot to remove it when he went to shoot to sight in. The barrel looked like a banna peel after the shot, and the bore sighter was in worse shape. Didn't think to much on that deal. CAJ