• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vexilar FL-20 noise question

Rip_Some_Lip

Question

I just upgraded from my old FL-8 to the FL-20 last weekend. I got to use it this morning before work and thought it was noisier than it sounded in the store, is this normal? It wasn't real bad but I could barely hear it in the store model. I also topped off the battery when I got it home and it was showing between 1/2 to 3/4 charge after only an hour of use. I am wondering if the battery isn't real good or if it uses more power than my old one. Do any of you guys that have one notice the same things? I really like the flat screen. I was way off to the side and could see the screen without a problem. I also like the zoom feature. Thanks for any replies.

4 answers to this question

Rip,

Sounds like something is ammiss.

I do not have any experience with the FL-20. But I own both an 8 and an 18. I can use the 18 for 3-4 hours of continuous use and it will still show a full charge on the LEDs.

I do know that it can take up to 24 hours to fully charge a battery. You didn't indicate how long you charged the battery for, only that you topped it off. Batteries from the store generally have a decent charge on them, so "topping" it off should be sufficient.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'd lean towards there being a problem somewhere.

I have an fl 20 and I can't say I have noticed the problems you mention. I can generally use the unit several times before the battery indicator drops to 3/4 full. There is some noise but not a lot, Then again I am older and my hearing is not what it was. Your battery charger should have two lights one red and one green. Make sure the green light comes on, then it is fully charged.

Rip

Do you have a Pro Pack? If so, sometimes the Battery Status box or if you have the dual beam ducer, that box as well will rattle on the frame of the vex.. I have the dual beam Pro Pack FL 20 and get a bit of noise from this.. Being uneven on the ice and what not..

I simply wrap the transducer cable against each of the boxes and the noise is eliminated.

After fishing again last night, the noise didnt seem too bad. The battery status box read 1/2 full after about 4 hrs of running time. I charged it again when I got home and it didnt take long to turn green so I think maybe the battery status box isnt real accurate. I do have a couple of spare battery from my old one and my camera so its all good. Thanks for the replies anyway. It is definetly a big upgrade from my old FL-8.