Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin4Sanity

Catalogs

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone list a few catalogs that I can order online for free that would have plenty of flies and fly fishing stuff for sale? I only get Cabelas currently and I don't necessarily want to buy stuff, but it sure is fun looking. Especially for a newbie trying to learn the lingo and all the different equipment available.

Thanks!!

Boy, this could be a very long list. Here are some: Orvis, Dan Bailey's, Blue Ribbon Flies, Feathercraft (not to be missed), The Fly Shop, Madison River Fishing Company, Hook and Hackle. Bass Pro Shops has some sort of division that has a catalog, too. Even L.L. Bean has a good fly fishing catalog. Good luck.

Westbank Anglers

Thanks Guys!!

Only ones I woudl add to the already great list is Kaufmanns Streamborn Inc, and K&K Flyfishers.

All of the above are good recommendations- here is what I do on a cold winter day.

I get one of the "Good" fly fishing magazines (i.e. Fly Fisherman,Fly Rod and Reel, etc.) and page through the periodical. Most of the major mail order outfits have advertising in the magazines. Most often you can request a catalog online, or least have an address to send off a postcard.

J. Stockard, Stone River Outfitters, Mudhole Custom Tackle, Janns Netcraft, Anglers Workshop, and Cabela's Fly Fishing Catalog are other ones that weren't mentioned.

Some of these catalogs are good sources for fly tying and rod building.

You should have plenty of reading material now. wink.gif

Fair enough guys... that is more than plenty. I was thinking a list of 4-5 good ones. I'm sure they are all awesome, but my better half will think I'm nuts (and she would be right, but for many reasons) if twenty plus fly fishing catologs show up at the house. I should receive a couple sometime soon though. THANKS!

I've been out practicing my casting for a total of about two hours in the last week and a half. I'm doing ok for having no instruction except reading material. Fairly level back cast, decent accuracy, and I can do up to about 40 feet with a couple of false casts... I have no idea if that is good or not, but I hope to at least try a cast or two this weekend on a real stream. Have yet to put a fly on while practicing so hopefully I don't hook my neck. I'll have to wear a turtle neck to be safe. Wish me luck.