• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Extension ?

LABS4ME

I'm thinking of possibly coming back up this weekend... I know the ice is getting real thick and I'm pretty sure I might need an extension... so I have a question for all you 'old pros'... Where do you store your extension for your auger in your vehicle when going up to Red. I mean, I think it would probably be a good idea to bring it up, but I hate to take up all that space for it and an Allen wrench. I was thinking the glove box, but that is stuffed full of napkins, ketchup packets and old CD holders. I looked under the seats and there's absolutely no room... it's nothing but a year's worth of Taco Bell bags... If I put it on the dash, it may block my defroster... Do you think it would be secure in the back of my truck? Has anybody ever had one stolen out of the back of their pick-up before? I'm kind of afraid I'll come out of the bait shop or bar and it will be gone... Of course I can put it on my auger at home before I leave... but what if I don't need it? I'd hate to have to take it off on the lake if the ice isn't thick enough to warrant using it...

Anybody have any ideas for me? confused.gif Let me know how you handle this important decision everytime you go up! If I can just figure a way to get it up there so I know I have it if I need it, we will probably have a good trip.

Any tips?!

Good Luck! grin.gif

Ken

I just purchased an extension this week for a trip to Red Lake this weekend. Thinking of hauling it on my ATV trailer since I should be able to drive my truck every where on the ice.

Maybe you could mail it to yourself at one of the local "Watering Holes"? It'd give you a reason to go in there if you needed it and a reason to go in there if you didn't so you could tell them to "Return to Sender" the package! laugh.gif

why the allen wrench? I swapped out the bolts on mine for those hitch pins with the semi-circle of metal that holds them on, much easier than trying to unbolt the auger head with cold hands

Maybe have Jon and Kelly line the road with extensions?? What the heck, it's not like they have anything better to do, eh? That way, if you need one you can just go to the road and grab one. That is if you bought a road pass.

Duct tape one to the outside of your truck tires?

Stick one through your radiator?

Your sarcasim is great Labs. Isn't it amazing how many people ask this question? People bringing up $10,000 fishouses pulling it with a $30,000 truck and they can't seem to be able to buy a $10 extention which they will need sometime. I have kept mine in the side compartment of my truck door for years and guess what if I need it I know exactly where it is. IMO if you do any amout of ice fishing buy an extension keep it in your vehicle and you will never have to ask "Do I Need an extension" smile.gif

Hey Labs,

I think I got a solution.

A holster. Yea,,, an "extension holster". grin.gif

Are you packing? shocked.gif

What size extension you packing? blush.gif

Aw, never mind. The state would probably require a conceal and carry permit laugh.gif

Good Luck...

How 'bout packing an extra flat of beverages so you can leave the entire auger at home.... "drill" your own holes. grin.gif

On a serious note, I use a tube from your local post office. Just tape the covers on both ends. You can put the dang thing anywhere you want! smile.gif

I have a 36 inch chisel from when I was a whipper snapper. Still use it. yah think I will need an extention for it?

I plan to chisel a straight line of about 50 holes going north and south to hit the " crappie Lane " but I am afraid i will need an extention.

In the olden days, we tied our cane pole to the side of the 59 chevy with twine. We crawled across the seats to get to the passanger side. I am thinking I might have to tie my chisel extention to both the passenger and driver side and crawl in the drivers window. I mean, what do yah think... its alot of work.... should I use twine or bungie cords.?

Thanks. good luck on Red. I will be there saturday as well.

(Contact Us Please), I almost for got about my grinding wheel for sharpening the dang chisel.... where do I put that. ? I'll get er figured out. I didn't get to be this old by being dumb. grin.gif

I read the subject and thought to myself..another person is asking if they should bring an extension! confused.gifgrin.gif Your post really made me laugh though.

It's amazing how many of the same questions are asked on here each week.

Quote:

Labs, why do you need an extension? I thought someone ran over your auger 2 weeks ago.
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

OOOOOO that is funny! grin.gif

What nobody understands is in Waskish a extesnion is not just an extesnion. It is a spare jack handle,hole chipper, seal club, floorboard de-icer, sheepoeple defense tool, portable door prop (pick-up door), lockout tool, road marker, and truck starter tool. Just a good thing to have around either way.

That is great Ken! As were Kelly's, Jon's and Halad's reaponses! Does this mean you got kitchen clearance to head up this weekend? See you there!

Ah crud... I forgot about bringing up the auger too! Now I gotta find more space. Kelly do you think I still have a chance drilling holes with a bit with a 30 degree bend in it?

Bryce what ever happened to that Auger Stretcher you had. Is that bigger than an extension? That sounded like a really cool tool to have. That way I wouldn't need to worry about bringing my extension up. Maybe I could tie the auger stretcher down on the roof of my truck somehow... that's space I'm not using yet... how do you shrink the bit back down after you stretch it? Do you think it will straighten out the bend in my bit?

So far I'm thinking of trying to duct tape it to my tires (what tensile strength tape do you recommend Boilerguy?)? Would you go all the way around the tire?

I could put it in the back glove box of my snowmobile and then trailer that all around the lake... I like that idea too...

The holster sounds fabulous. I wouldn't know where to get one though. Plus everyone would know what a great ice fisherman I am carrying around my extension at the ready all the time! crazy.gif

Keep the tips coming... I'm working on a plan. I should be able to find a way to get it up there.

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs I think I solved your problem. smile.gif Today I moved the Labshack to a less crowded place. You could tape the extension to the new door you should bring. grin.gif

I was wondering whose door that was laying on the road. I though it was off Scott's house but he lost the window and tire.

This moving houses can get brutal.

could i get the cords to where that door is layin, that would be a good start to the hardhouse i will some day own. the boys are gettin a pretty good collection of legos now and i almost have the main frame built but i'm lookin for outer shell parts!

I don't think that door would be a good start... I don't even think that door would be a bad start... I don't even think it's even much of a door. The stories that ol' house can tell... she's got more hard miles on her than an enduro in the dessert!!!

On a side note... I know where you can get some pretty chrome tow hooks for your wood skids!!! Now there's a good start!

Good Luck!

Ken

The first year the Lashack was on the lake and after we had destroyed the skids twice in 2 weeks people were locked out of the house so I got to kick the door in,,,TWICE. grin.gif