• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

willson bay question

Can you access on Wilson bay?? (Gull Lake)

I believe a rather large iceheave exists at hunters point

Anybody crossing it?

Thanks in advance!

I know that folks will access Wilson by going over Hunter's Point with ATVs. Just be very, very careful. The ice in front of the mouth to Wilson is always a bad spot. Every year vehicles drop in there.

Jason Erlandson

Hawghunter,

I would say NO. Only use atv or sled to travel in this area (Hunters point). To many people think it is safe now that there is a ton of ice every where but that spot is always weak and thin. Just my .02 and is it worth taking the chance???

I just don't want to hear about another drowning especially so close to home.

mr

Sounds like you’re catching some fish in Wilson bay wink.gif

On my LakeMaster map (computer version) it shows an access on the southwest corner of the bay, I don’t think its there but I haven’t looked yet either. How about resort access??

Thanks for the advice

Hawghunter,

After I "submited" my reply I thought the same thing but I'm not trying to keep you away from anything. I can gain access one way and by all means I'm not giving you permission to do this but I have seen people drive threw the Madden's condo area right in front of Greens lake area on the far east side. Now again this may not be the safest spot either and don't want to say it safe because I haven't been over there in about 3 weeks. Plus Madden's may have blocked off the condo parking lot. FYI I fished around Crane Island and didn't even see a walleye but did manage to see two rock bass. Truthfully your better off up around the main lake in the bowtie area then down there. Numbers are there but size is questionable. Just be safe around that bottle neck area going into Wilson is all that I ask. Good luck and be safe.

Maybe WalleyeDan or Jason can back me up about this area.

MR confused.gif

Hey Hawghunter,

I just looked up your profile, do you work at Archt. 1 in Brd? Because I think I know you.

mr

WOW,

Now that’s tough, so many possibilities????

You got me searching your previous posts. You’re an educated outdoorsman, proud father of a 4 year old son, you snowmobile, and id guess your pretty young,

Are you initials TB? confused.gif

Yes your correct.

If you need any more info regarding Wilson you can shoot me an email or even better contact WalleyeDan or Jason. these guys are on the ice more than both of us combined IF you really need to get into Wilson.

Talk to you later.

tbaumann(at)winkelman(dot)com

mr

grin.gif

I drive over Hunters point later in the winter season(18 or more inches of ice) and I stay to the right side as much as possible. There is a heave but someone has chopped it down. Was getting some nice Crappies a couple of weeks ago but it slowed down.(pressure) The access your thinking of on the sw corner is probabaly the old Wilson bay resort which is now privately owned. If Maddens catches you go through they may call the sheriff. I've heard that has happened before. You could always call and ask for permission. Walleye fishing can be hit and miss out there but there are some big ones.

Meat-Run, you're right about people driving out from Madden's condos, but I wouldn't advise it. Madden's recently put pylons to keep people from driving over their property and I have personally been down there when deputies have been called to deal with trespassers. Best to find another way into Wilson Bay.

That’s rite kid, that’s why they call me "hawghunter" wink.gif

Thanks for the replies, the heck with Wilson bay, I’m heading to the big pond. its so much easier and increases my odds

Is the DU turny this weekend on Mile Lacs? Whare?

I live near the point and saw 3 pickups and 1 car drive over the right side of the point as you go into the bay. All go to the right after they cross the point. You can follow the tracks in the snow. I am sure it is quite safe if you go this way.

I would not be concerned since I have seen vehicles taking this route for several weeks.

Joel

The DU tourney is this Saturday, 12-3 pm in Garrison Bay and tickets are $25 if you get them now. See you there!

Hey Hawghunter, is Arch1 strictly an arch. design firm or do they have mechanical engineering as well?

Am looking at relocating to the Brainerd area (folks and relatives live there now)and was considering talking to Nor-Son construction and/or who ever else does construction engineering up there. Any insight you can give would be very helpful in my focus on who to get in touch with.

Thanks in advance!

I know a guy named Todd Baumann that I used to work at Gander Mountain in Plymouth with before it closed. I saw the last name and first initial..

We used to work together at Gander. I normally bump into him at the Mpls Sportshow's. Have not talked to him in about 3-4 years.

Yeti, wow, this is a small world........Todd is at Sportsman's Warehouse near Anoka. Left Gander and has been there for about a year or so. I think I may know you as well. Did you used to work at a machine shop in St. Louis Park a long time ago? Does your last name start with a Y?

Quote:

Hey Hawghunter, is Arch1 strictly an arch. design firm or do they have mechanical engineering as well?

Am looking at relocating to the Brainerd area (folks and relatives live there now)and was considering talking to Nor-Son construction and/or who ever else does construction engineering up there. Any insight you can give would be very helpful in my focus on who to get in touch with.

Thanks in advance!

Widseth Smith Nolting is a full service A&E firm that is currently looking for a mechanical and electrical engineer. You could start with them.

Thanks BraiNerd...Will look into that.

Sorry Yeti... Did you work at the Richfield Gander or the old Holiday/Gander in Plymouth? I knew a few guys from both stores way back when. Todd's a good guy. Told me he recovered from cancer not too long ago.

I worked at the Holiday/Gander in Plymouth. Jeff, Al, Todd, Travis, Jerry, Jim (manager), Ted, Caroline, Ricky. That store was fun. Good memories. Never made any money because my paycheck always went back into the store. grin.gif But the sad part, is that I heard a few have passed on. frown.gif

But, to get somewhat back on the subject. Me and my wife are attending a conference with our church at Craguns later in May. Thinking about extending the weekend, renting a boat and trying to catch some walleyes. Never fished Gull. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.