Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMT

Cleaning fish on Red?

7 posts in this topic

I am heading up to Red for the first time on Friday. (It's about time)

I have a question on cleaning fish on the lake.

Can you clean crappies on the lake?

Can you clean walleyes on the lake?

If you can not clean them on the lake do you just freeze them until you get home, thaw them, then clean them?

Or is there a slicker way to keep them fresher?

You can clean crappies on the lake, but you must keep the carcasses unfrozen and countable with you so the CO can verfiy your take.

You cannot clean walleyes on the lake or possess any walleye fillets from other lakes. They must remain unfrozen and flexible for measuring purposes. You may gut and gill them, but they have to remain with heads on. You cannot cook/eat walleye while on the lake.

I just keep all my fish in a bucket half filled with slush from cleaning out the holes. They can live for 2 days in that and I have 'fresh' fish to clean when I get home... I don't worry about cleaning them on the lake.

Good Luck!

Ken

I don't think the crappie carcuses need to be unfrozen, they just need to get a count of them. The reason for the walleyes being unfrozen is if they're frozen, the CO can't "pinch" the tail to get a true measurement.

You're right... I meant not frozen in one mass glob! That's why I said "and countable"... but poor sentence structure.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for the info and the suggestions on the slush filled bucket with the fish, that has got to be better than thawing the frozen fish.

I hope we do well. I will post our report on Monday.

If I've just gotta eat fish while on the lake, it's gonna be smoked laker and/or pickled northern. smile.gif

Check-out page 10 in your reg. book, Possessing Fish. All fish for which the size restriction applies must have their heads, tails, fins, and skin intact and be measurable except when a watercraft is docked or moored to shore and the person is preparing the fish for that that night/days meal. quote-on-quote. So bring the boat pull it out on the ice near shore and tie it off to the closest tree then fry them up baby. grin.gif