Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hooknhawgs

Mankato area

8 posts in this topic

Hey, I am somewhat new to the area and have never fished the MN river. Just wondering if there are any fish worth catching around the mankato area. Would be going for eyes or pannies. Also, how does the ice look around?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

HnH

Thanks for all of your help.

The only thing that I can tell you is find a bend and drill some holes to see what depth you have to work with, and fish the break. I have had luck with the eyes and saugers on outside of the bend but that was during the cold spell we had. For panfish I guess I would say if you can find and back water with some depth, which I think might be a little hard for how low the water is, you might be able to get into some pan action!

Ok, thanks for responding.

Not a problem!!! Good luck fishing!!

Hook,

I suspect that most of us river guys tend to either hang it up in the winter or fish area lakes. Myself, I fish the river in the summer, and lakes in the winter. I simply dont have much confidence on the river ice.....One week I drove over the 22 bridge by St. Peter, and its iced over with snowmobile tracks, then two days later it looks about as open as it can get....Just way to much current, and with a low river level this year, I suspect that may even make it more complicated.

If eyes and pannies are your interest, look to the lakes rather risk your own saftey.

Now, the summer is an entirely different story....You will find some serious walleyes in the MN...As for panfish, never chased them, but will catch an occassional sunny here and there...but pretty rare---

Now if you want to get a response on this particular board, start asking about flatheads....that is the primary creature of interest with the group (that tends to hibernate in the winter from the page).

Check the S Cetnral page if you have not for area bites.

Good luck,

jk

Yeah, I sort of gathered the same thing about the winter ice. I'll be out this spring though, looking for some eyes. Never really fished for flatheads though. Not really opposed to the idea, however. Maybe i'll give that a try too. Thanks for your help.

Their are many many great shore spots around the area, and fairly easy to get to....Its simply a matter hunting for spots. Judson bottom road is a very good start. Bottom of lookout drive at the lights. Other side of the river from Sibley. Litterally a stones throw from the road with access to some pretty good bends that tend to create some pretty good holes. Also, 169 between Mankato and St. Peter is also a stones throw from the road with some good shore spots. Right now, its just so muddy out to get to them-so if your looking to head out (as the water is very much open) wear some mud boots.

Good luck. If you see a 14 foot gray lund with 15 horse johnson scooting around, be sure to wave! Will probably wait another 6-8 due to some other stuff going on, but will likely be out sooner than most. Historically I have not had much luck early sprink, but its nice to simply be in no mans land fifteen minutes after getting out of my door.

I will warn you, if you "try" the flathead thing. You get one that is even 10 pounds plus, and you may be litterally hooked on catfish-it is the deep see of the high north.

jk

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• DLD24
      I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.
    • DLD24
      Fished Big Sandy from 8-2 today and got 10 eyes (no keepers) keeper crappie and perch.... Marked tons of fish, but it was tough to get them to go, Lindy rig with a half crawler was the best by far. I tried leeches,jigging rap, jig n plastic. Points and reefs were the spots, later in the day a lot of fish were off the edges of the reefs... Just one day this year I'd like a happy medium weather wise, either I'm in 4ft rollers or 90 degrees with zero wind haha.
    • Garmandu
      According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.
    • ANYFISH2
      Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain. I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs. I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.   My questions...   Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?   Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?   prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.   typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?   Thanks for tips
    • Perchy
      Yes, insured. I will ask the adjuster, thanks.
    • Captain Acorn
      Thanks cliff and lb I have actually had better luck with the puppet minnows from northland but I have mainly jigged them vertically definently is a fun way to fish 
    • LBerquist
      I've been trolling at about .5mph while using a jigging rap. This way one guy can still drag a lindy. I keep the front hook intact but my boat has contributed about half a dozen to the lake so far this summer. Im still working on getting the hang of it. If I know I'm in a rough area I will attempt to keep the jig from hitting bottom which still seems to be effective. I did pick up a couple off brands that don't have a front hook that I want to try. This is just what I have been toying around with, I'm definitely not an expert at it.
    • fisherjmb
      Hi Everyone, a couple of questions, I know there is free public boat ramp in Stillwater just above the lift bridge. Is there another public boat ramp further down river? I thought I read somewhere that Beanies is or was becoming a free public boat launch. Is that the case? Also, I am thinking of heading there on Monday to try my luck. Any tactics/depths/areas that have been producing for anyone?
    • proguide
      I would call the catfishing this week seasonal.  It is a pretty normal bite for a period of lower water and heat.  The catfish are in post spawn and spread out in their summer haunts.  The more aggressive fish are in the deeper water in the middle of the river.  As usual stay on the move and keep the bait fresh. Bait does not seem to matter still but people with frogs are saying they are getting their better hits with them. 
    • Rick
      Wildlife artists can submit entries for the 2018 Minnesota Trout and Salmon Stamp through 4 p.m. Friday, July 28, according to the Department of Natural Resources.  2017 Trout and Salmon Stamp Competition
      First Place: Timothy Turenne Anglers can purchase the trout and salmon stamp validation with their fishing license for an additional $10. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the pictorial stamp. It is also sold as a collectible for $10.75. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to trout and salmon management and habitat work. Trout or salmon must be the primary focus of the design, though other fish species may be included in the design if they are used to depict common interaction between species or are common inhabitants of Minnesota’s lakes and rivers. Brook trout designs are not eligible this year. Artists are prohibited from using any photographic product as part of their finished entries. Winning artists usually issue limited edition prints of the artwork and retain proceeds. Judging will take place Thursday, Aug. 3, at DNR headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul. For more information and contest guidelines, visit mndnr.gov/stamps, or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.